Repower choice for 1982 C-30 with 5411 universal diesel

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
This 1982 C-30 tall rig will sail the Pacific Northwest. Strong currents and sometimes narrow channels and light summer winds. The present 5411, raw water cooled seems grossly underpowered. What engine will allow it to achieve hull speed, fit in the same space, and be easy to maintain (readily accessible water pump/impeller) oil and fuel filters also easy to access. Universal, Yanmar, Beta??? Thanks.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
If the engine is working and size is the only concern, you may want to examine your prop before you decide on a new engine.

There are limits to power and the PacNW waters. Often it is a matter of timing. Consider Agate passage. Wrong time of day and you crawl at barely 1 knot SOG. A few hours later and zip your under the bridge at 7 knots sailing.

I changed my prop and got a full knot improvement in thrust.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
Thanks. It does have a two blade gori folding prop now. I spoke with the Campbell Sailer people. They said with their three blade fixed I might see 5.1 or 5.2 as the 5411 produces 6 hp at the prop.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Beta new engine is the best replacement for your boat. If looking for rebuilt a Universal M25 would be a big boost to 21hp.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
So to optimize speed you will need to change the motor and the transmission.
Beta has a nice package as @LeslieTroyer has indicated.
You say the boat is a 1982. It has a 25 ft of waterline.
Max hull speed of 6.7knots.
http://www.psychosnail.com/boatspeedcalculator.aspx
A gory 2 blade. The choice of someone who likes to sail rather than power. Enough of an auxiliary to get the boat out in the water. A folding 2 blade to maximize sailing speed.

Why did you buy the boat? Looks, fell in love, passion for a Catalina? It would be a real cost benefit nightmare as I look at it. If cost was of low concern then why not go for it.