Replacing your engine on a Y30

Jun 3, 2012
yamaha 30 west vancouver
My 34 year old Yanmar is on its last legs - leaking through injector seal and head gasket issues. So I need to replace it. Can anyone recommend a good low cost engine I can replace it with that will fit with minimal alterations required?

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
a good low cost engine
Now there's an oxymoron.

Firstly, we'll need a lot more information on the engine which you can easily provide, starting with which Yanmar model engine. You're going to be dealing with a fair amount of spare change here so some homework on your part will go a long way towards saving money.

Depending on the condition (and type) of the 34 YO engine, i.e. running hours, compression, etc. it may be worth getting a quote on a rebuild. I say this because a different make of engine may incur all sorts of additional cost with alignment issues.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Ralph's right.

Although there's always this:

BETA Marine.

If you do some research on BETA you'll find LOTS of happy skippers.

Good luck.

Sep 11, 2014
yamaha 25 PT
Electric

Sorry, I can't meet the low cost requirement.
Depending on your usage reqjirements, electric can be a wonderful solution if you plan to keep the boat for 10 years.

Aug 30, 2007
Yamaha 30 Vancouver, BC
My 34 year old Yanmar is on its last legs - leaking through injector seal and head gasket issues. So I need to replace it. Can anyone recommend a good low cost engine I can replace it with that will fit with minimal alterations required?
If you look for a subject heading in this Forum "Repowering Yamaha 30" dated around April 2013 you will find some discussion. I ended up having mine rebuilt by Stem to Stern in Vancouver. I went that route to maintain the integrity of the boat. I recall that someone else used a 2 cylinder Volvo as a replacement and without much difficulty making it fit. Not sure what "low cost" means to you, but it was expensive at over 10k. The motor needs to be taken apart in 3 pieces to remove through hatch. Be careful when lifting it out. I noticed some cosmetic damage on my rub-rail at the midship line. The damage coincided with an eyebolt on the dock and must have resulted from the hull over heeling caused by the weight.
Somebody told me there is an excellent mechanic working out of the marina in West Van who does excellent work.

Aug 30, 2007
Yamaha 30 Vancouver, BC
Nick. I found some info on the Volvo replacement. I was told that it is a Volvo D13, fresh water cooled and two cylinders. It required some alterations for mounting and wiring. I was told that the install including modifications cost almost the same price as the engine. Stem to Stern did the work.
That's all I can offer.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I ended up having mine rebuilt by Stem to Stern in Vancouver. I went that route to maintain the integrity of the boat.
Thanks John, forgot to mention Stem to Stern seeing as how Nick is in the Vancouver area. A+++ company, if not a little on the pricey side. On a job that size for the engine, I wouldn't trust anyone but Stem.

Mar 2, 2008
Cal 25 mk II T-Bird Marina, West Vancouver
You probably have an YSM-12 mounted under the V-berth (newer Yamaha 30’s have the Yanmar under the cockpit). I have the same motor in my CAL. The YSM-12 is simple and very reliable. Just like the Eveready Rabbit it just keeps on going and going and going using about 1½ litres/hr at 2500 rpm cruising speed. I would also check with Kerry at T-bird 604-921-9527 and Ben Garthside in Sydney 250-655-4543 to get more opinions if you haven’t done so already. To rebuild your Yanmar or to get a rebuilt is probably the most economical. If I were to get a new motor I would look closely at the Beta. I suspect you need a budget of at least $5k for a rebuilt and at least $10k for new. Remember that a new motor may not fit your low and narrow space under the V-berth and will require engine mount work, new exhaust, new shaft, new wiring, new propeller (yours is left hand and most others are right hand rotation), etc…… and a lot more labour that rebuilding or getting a rebuilt YSM-12. Good luck and let us know how it works out.