Replacing wood in the v birth

Mar 31, 2010
Catalina 27 Tall Rig High Cliff State Park
Hello, my 1983 Catalina 27 tall, has wood panels on the inside of the v birth. It covers (hid) the anchor locker. I found a leak coming from that locker, it was fixed but the wood is soft. I would like to replace it. Does anyone know what kind of wood that was or what I should use?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Recommend teak. Lots of suppliers out there if you do an internet search on what type, e.g., teak and holly, etc., thickness, width and length you need.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Look into Maranti. It’s a mahogany species that is harder that your typical mahogany. Your can get it pretty dark and dark grained like teak at a lot lower price. Its used a lot in custom decking (house deck). I have a little over 1000sqft of it and it has held up well for the past 8 or so years

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
If it's an original part, rather than owner installed, you might give the Catalina Yachts customer service/ parts dept a call. They might have it in stock for an easy install. On a small bulkhead like the anchor locker it a good chance that it's a marine plywood with teak veneer.