Replacing Wiring Harness

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
A friends 309 recently had something go south and need to replace the wiring harness on his engine as well as the wiring that goes up to his engine control panel in the cockpit. Have no idea what failed but the smoke demons definitely got out. He has a 3YM20 Yanmar engine and it appears the wiring harness is easy to find, but that is only for the engine. How do I find out which one he needs? Is it based on the model of engine control panel?

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
By Control Panel but make sure your engine model is included in the list of engines it fits.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Thanks Benny and SFBay, I did get a look at his boat the other day. Looks like he needs both the engine wiring harness as well as a harness that goes from the engine up to the cockpit. I also found this

You are being redirected... as well as a tutorial on replacing the harness Replacing My Yanmar 2GM20 Wiring Harness - Salty Doug Sailing and this appears to be the harness 164100-21100 | Yanmar Wire Harness | Diesel Parts Direct.

Good news is his insurance says it should be covered as he is close to $1000 and my labor/help is $0.00.