Replacing winches

Jul 28, 2016
Hey -

I have a CP22 (Mark 1) that I just purchased a set of Harken Self-Tailing Winches for. My boat is currently shrink-wrapped for the winter, so I cannot gain access to it at this time. I am trying to figure out how to access the winch mounting - particularly on the port side. I figure I can hire a anorexic 11 year old to stuff down the starboard side cockpit locker to get to the backing nuts, but no such access on the port side. Do I need to remove the rear bulkhead aft of the portside settee berth to gain access?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Those Harken’s are nice winches. @delling3 you got to do what you got to do. If you can not find an access where you can send a small body (and also retrieve same after the job is done) then you are either removing that which is in your way or creating new holes (access holes) that allow you to make the change you desire.
Take pictures and share them here on the site.

Jul 22, 2011
Mariner Yacht Co.(NH) Mariner 28 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
I picked up some coaming boxes. Cut the coaming, removed the old winches, installed the new winches, installed the coaming boxes. Easy peasy. Plus addition storage in the cockpit. Yes there is the cost of the boxes, but I figure it is counterbalanced by the Physical Therapy I didn't need after trying to contort a 65 year old body upside down and backward to do the install through the lazarettes. I got a good deal on the winches, so the additional $$ for the coaming boxes didn't really hurt.
Lou

Oct 11, 2017
Catalina Capri 22 259 Washington DC
My 2 Cents, you should be able to remove the false bulkhead on both sides. This allowed me to gain access, I am 6'1'' 275+ lbs. to get to the winches. It is not that uncomfortable once you get in.

Jul 28, 2016
Thanks ASR. I figured with all your doing to your boat that you would know the answer! I assume the bulkheads are not tabbed in - just self-tappers with finishing washers?

Oct 11, 2017
Catalina Capri 22 259 Washington DC
Correct, took 2 min each side with proper tools of course, I was pleasantly surprised!