Replacing throttle and trans cables 1984 H34

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Herrington South, MD
I'm doing some engine work and thought it would be a good time to replace the throttle and transmission cables. I removed the compass and tried to see how to detach the cables from the pedestal mount. Anyone have any suggestions?

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
There were a number of different suppliers to Hunter so it's hard to speculate on your particular model.
A picture of the binnacle would help, or a least a description of what you see inside.
And, do you mean "detach" from the control handles?

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
You'll have to loosen the screw on the cable clip on the aft side of the tube, about 10" below the axle .. then loosen and slowly lift the ring that carries the levers and cable clamps. This should lift up and give access to the cable ends so you can release the ends.. I downloaded the Merriman instructions.. scroll down to page 46.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Herrington South, MD
You'll have to loosen the screw on the cable clip on the aft side of the tube, about 10" below the axle .. then loosen and slowly lift the ring that carries the levers and cable clamps. This should lift up and give access to the cable ends so you can release the ends.. I downloaded the Merriman instructions.. scroll down to page 46.
Thanks so much. I guess I just didn't go far enough.

Feb 26, 2009
Oday 30 Anchor Yacht Club, Bristol PA
Thinking I would restart this discussion here rather than open my own I believe I have a Meriman pedestal?
20211027_133900_Film3.jpg
20211027_134007_Film3.jpg

If it is whati t appears to be, then this picture troubles me on how do I get the cable assembly up and out
Screenshot_2021-10-27-13-38-38.png

The throttle cable is really really hard to move it seems to be getting worse, not better, drizzling oil didn't help looks like a new one is about 50 bucks which I can afford.
And I just know, Y'all going to tell me I have to disassemble the whole top of the pedestal correct?
I have a hunter 34, 3gm 30 engine

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Yup.. but not as bad as ya think.. Compass off and spacer under it off (small marks will let ya get it back as it was. . Take out the throttle lever shaft. loosen clip (#2 in diagram) .. Don't loosen it too much, because it is a booger to get beck on. There is probably enough slack in the cable to push it up a little to get the end off the bellcrank (#7) .. Loosen the cable at the engine and slide it out of the top of the pedestal.. Gorilla tape the new cable to the old as ya slide it out and pull the new in as ya move the old one out. A little finagling will be required to get it back into the # 2 clip.. but once you are back in the clip and the bellcrank reattached, you've got it..

Feb 26, 2009
Yup.. but not as bad as ya think.. Compass off and spacer under it off (small marks will let ya get it back as it was. . Take out the throttle lever shaft. loosen clip (#2 in diagram) .. Don't loosen it too much, because it is a booger to get beck on. There is probably enough slack in the cable to push it up a little to get the end off the bellcrank (#7) .. Loosen the cable at the engine and slide it out of the top of the pedestal.. Gorilla tape the new cable to the old as ya slide it out and pull the new in as ya move the old one out. A little finagling will be required to get it back into the # 2 clip.. but once you are back in the clip and the bellcrank reattached, you've got it..
So it is a merriman pedestal and a cable is what about 16 ft? I think is listed on site

Oct 10, 2020
Hunter 34 Sunrise Shore Marina
I had to replace my throttle cable late summer. It was a bit of a challenge. I removed the old cable, using a piece of parachute cord as a tracer, so that I could pull it back through later. I contacted a nearby shop to see if they could replace the inner rod and swage new ends. However, I quickly sourced a new cable in a supplier catalog. In order to get the new cable in the clamp a few inches below the connection at the lever, I found it necessary to remove the wheel brake. Another thing to note is the friction clamp that is used to adjust the tension on the cable, so the engine rpm does not creep back. Mine was located near the engine connection on the old one. When I did the new install, I elected to locate it in the aft cabin just before the cable goes into the binnacle.

Feb 26, 2009
I had to replace my throttle cable late summer. It was a bit of a challenge. I removed the old cable, using a piece of parachute cord as a tracer, so that I could pull it back through later. I contacted a nearby shop to see if they could replace the inner rod and swage new ends. However, I quickly sourced a new cable in a supplier catalog. In order to get the new cable in the clamp a few inches below the connection at the lever, I found it necessary to remove the wheel brake. Another thing to note is the friction clamp that is used to adjust the tension on the cable, so the engine rpm does not creep back. Mine was located near the engine connection on the old one. When I did the new install, I elected to locate it in the aft cabin just before the cable goes into the binnacle.
Thank you very helpful you were going to get the end of the old cable swaged?

But I really need to know is how long the new cable should they I'm coming in around 10 ft I've been trying to get it out tomorrow and measure it for sure

Oct 10, 2020
There is a shop in Halifax NS. He thought they had the proper rod and ends to do the repair. I did purchase a new cable. It is 11 feet long, but I would advise you pull the old one to be sure of your measurement.

Feb 26, 2009
Took it all apart! Going to order a cable, should have it over the weekend, not that it matters this season is almost over. Pretty simple although somewhat complicated inside the binnacle. The clamp that holds the cable sheath down behind the wheel works but it would be very easy to completely loosen it and have a drop out of sight! The wheel brake doesn't have to come out, it just needs to be moved inside. I don't think the cable is even 10ft the overall!
20211028_111420_Film3-1.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2020
I had to remove the wheel brake in order to get the new cable in place behind the clamp. Be curious how you make out with it. Good luck!

Feb 26, 2009
From Reading many other discussions on this particular topic it seems that, many people don't realize everything does not have to be done from the top...
anyways...

I'm not one to rest without knowing more. The bottom of the pedestal has a large plate that holds the cable sheaves and only has a small hole for all the cables and wiring to go through but, I have access to it. I realize some boats it's more difficult, Hunter's infinite wisdom actually made a removable bottom cover for this area of the quarter birth which is as wide as the double bed. Which is also a very comfortable place to sleep but I may go back to the rebirth because I keep banging my head and I mean really whacking my noggin! not just bumpity bump

Feb 26, 2009
Installed the new cable last night! It was not too difficult... used the old cable to fish the new cable down. (typical of fishing wires up and down walls in a house which I've helped do many times over the past century LOL.)
It works perfectly! Not a whole lot of pictures because most of it's inside the helm, we did have to remove the wheel brake which was not too difficult, but helped me understand how everything works inside the pedestal. Just need to wrap it up today and yes! we will wire tie the cable away from the exhaust manifold!
20211106_174816_Film3-1.jpg

20211106_151450_Film3.jpg