Replacing the Joker Valve on a a B321

Jul 8, 2005
Jeanneau 389 Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
I always dread the replacement of the joker valve. Not from the possible waste water that comes out, but the struggle I always have to get the new waste water hose back onto the male end of the housing with the joker valve.

is there a flexible elbow I can use to make this easier?

I did today cut some of the fiberglass away to allow the waste hose to move to the right. I need to do more, but just wondering if there is an easier way.

Would appreciate some suggestions...

Chris

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
On my B323 I can remove and re-install the joker housing with the hose attached. YMMV.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
IF..... there is room for a short connecting hose and then just enough space to make a turn, you might try a 90 degree piece of ss tubing. These are quite smooth, and you will need to rough up the exterior with some 60 grit to better clamp the hose onto. Use double clamps, but for waste you do that anyway. :)
I found a couple of these at McMaster Carr when I was re-formatting our whole head and holding tank scheme. I had some routing places where a tight hose radius would have kinked otherwise.
Of course, in most boats, there's hardly room for the head and the hose emerges from a bulkhead or cabinet with little clearance.... :(
Anyhow, an idea, FWIW.
Loren

Attachments

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
'all have done an amazing job of figuring out the hard way and the wrong way to s

Chris, the right solutions to your problem are 1. Don't remove the hose from the fitting, remove the fitting from the pump. 2. Swap the straight discharge fitting for a 90. You can get one from Jabsco (or whoever made your toilet) and aim it where it needs to go. Meanwhile, don't cut any more off..the outer diameters of fittings are sized to create a snug hose fit...sanding some off will result in a leaking hose connection.

Warming hose a bit makes it a lot easier to get off a fitting...warming it plus lubricating both the inside of the hose and the outside of the fitting with dishwashing liquid makes it a lot easier to put it on a fitting.

Loren, metal fittings should never been used in a sanitation system...you'd be smart to replace 'em with PVC 90s or 45s before you find out why (urine will eat through them, creating stinky leaks in your plumbing Check the plumbing department of any hardware store...if they don't have what you need, you can get 'em from Dometic/SeaLand... Here's a sheet from a Sealand distributor site http://www.marinesan.com/PVC-Fittings-s/120.htm or you can order direct from SeaLand 800-321-9886

The flange on the joker valve is the gasket that seals the fitting connection to the pump. You want to tighten the screws/bolts enough to get a good seal, but be careful not to OVERtighten them...that will cause the rubber flange/gasket to pucker at each of the screws...and leak. So just go for snug...if it leaks, no more than 1/4 turn of each screw (all of them) at a time till it doesn't leak.

Sep 7, 2015
Beneteau 343 Turku
And when you change the joker valve, DO NOT use original Jabsco three blade valves. I had four of them and they all leaked from the beginning. Buy some two blade copies and check that you can not see light through the lips.

Jul 8, 2005
Thanks, Peggie.
I was looking on the Jabsco site last night for parts and didn't see a different one that holds the joker. I will check again.

Jul 8, 2005
Peggie,
One more question...
If i find a PVC fitting at a hardware store to help the bend from the waste hose, what is the best way then to connect to the tapered fitting on the Jabsco discharge? Just use a shore piece of hose with clamps at either end?

Jul 8, 2005
Peggie,
I used a hair dryer and a little bit of vaseline and it worked fine.
I hope vaseline does not destroy the rubber.
I would have used dish washing liquid if I had on the boat.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Vaseline isn't a good idea for two reasons...it's petroleum based, which is damaging to rubber, and it stays greasy...hose can work its way off the fitting. The industry has always recommended dish soap, but K-Y jelly is even better because it's much slicker and it's water soluble, so it dries out...plus, it's cheap and available at any drug store and most super markets.

I would have used dish washing liquid if I had on the boat.

Preparation is the most important step in any project. It's when prep is "short changed" that people jury rig, substitute materials, charge ahead HOPING they can do it instead of asking questions etc... proving more often than not that it's always cheaper and easier to do it right the first time than it is to do it over.

So PLAN your projects...make a list of what's needed and get everything on it...if it's a job you've never done before, read the directions! If the directions leave any questions in your mind, ASK...post to a forum, contact tech support for that product--BEFORE you start. You'll be glad you did.

Mar 11, 2015
Hunter 33.5 Tacoma, WA
And when you change the joker valve, DO NOT use original Jabsco three blade valves. I had four of them and they all leaked from the beginning. Buy some two blade copies and check that you can not see light through the lips.
Can you post a link of a two blade copy?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
"Two blade" is just his term for a joker valves that has a single slit instead of a Y or X cut into it...the most common type.

Btw, the slit should be aligned vertically.

Oct 6, 2010
Beneteau Oceanus 321 Carters Pt.
Replace the joker valve on our 321 a couple of times ,found it easier to remove the hold down bolts that hold head in place then uncured joker valve housing replace valve,bolt up and blot head back in place (first pump some vinegar through system)
total time about 20 minutes

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
I agree with Peggie about metal potentially being a problem in the waste plumbing. Years ago when I reformatted our system, I could not find a sweep elbow like her current example. OTOH, our new HT has no bottom connections and we always pump enough water thru the lines when finishing the flushing process that all waste should be gone from the hoses and joints. Hope so, anyway.
:)

Loren

Jul 8, 2005
Peggie,

I do appreciate your help.
Yes, I am a total idiot when it comes to figuring this stuff out.
I am not as experienced as you are and am trying to learn.

Thanks for the help and encouragement.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I wasn't born knowing this stuff...I had to learn it too. And I'm still learning, even after 25 years.

"A wise person learns from experience. A wiser person learns from other people's experience."

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Where can you find a two bladed joker valve vs the three blade that is specified by Jabsco?