Replacing the Hatch lens

Dec 25, 2018
ODay 34 262 Galesville MD
I have an 84 34 foot O'day and want to replace the lens on the cabin hatch. Anyone know if it is a lumar and what size?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
If you do not get an answer form the forum might contact DR Marine (link below) who sell O'Day parts. If you are not successful there suggest contacting marine chandleries that sell Lemar, Bowmar and Vetus hatches OR remove the hatch and send them to a repair shop like Select Plastics (link below).

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Just a hunch here, but I believe they are spelled " Lewmar "? Might make it easier to google if it is spelled right.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Ron20324..........thanks, probably needed that extra cup of coffee this morning.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
The hatch on the 35 is a Bomar. You can do it yourself pretty easy. I just did mine a few weeks ago. Mine the bedding failed and the lens started to drip. I got a piece of fishing line in the gap and worked it all around to break the seal then it came right out. Remove all the caulk from the hatch, this is the most work. Get a new piece of acrylic and use butyl tape to bed it. I put a two by four over it and used some clamps to press it into the butyl tape to seat it really well. The butyle will ooze out and you can see how it is adhered to the lens. Make sure there are no gaps on the face of the lens. Then use 795 caulk to fill the gap around the edges and smooth it out. So far looks good.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Most any local plastics shop can supply and cut the lens for you. Would be exactly the same as OEM and a lot cheaper and more convenient. Then you get to choose acrylic or polycarbonate and color. On a previous boat I had a local shop do all the windows in a dark smoked acrilic. Came out very nice and was not very expensive.

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
Both hatches on my 1987 O'day 35 are Lewmar hatches. I sent the lens to Select Plastics in CT. They replaced and rebedded the lenses and improved the latches. Find them here;Home - HatchMasters

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
A word about replacing hatch lenses on Lewmar hatches. I did this last year on my Tartan, two Lewmar Ocean hatches. I got a quote for new lenses from Hatchmasters: $439 and $347, plus shipping two ways. That includes the lens, seal, gasket, and o-rings. What you would do is take the hatch lids off, cover the openings with plastic and tape, send the lids to Hatchmasters and wait a few weeks.

Next I checked to see if I could just buy new hatch lids. I found Defender had them. $425 and $324, plus shipping one way ($22.50). This is an entire new hatch lid: frame, lens, latch assemblies, etc. What you do here is swap your hatch lids - took me about 20 minutes to do both. And then get rid of your old hatch lids - sell them, throw them away, whatever.

New hatch lids are cheaper, and infinitely more convenient.

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
No doubt that Hatchmasters is expensive. One problem with older boats is that the hardware that they use is older, and sometimes unavailable elsewhere. When I shipped my two hatches to Select Plastics (Hatchmasters) I had no choice because Lewmar had changed the design of their hatches and new replacements would not fit. In addition, one of the handles for my hatch was broken during shipping! From the work order, here is wnat Select plastics did for me:
"- Package received with broken handle parts in transit/shipping. Original parts no longer in production, new assembly needed for repair."
"- Repair Lewmar Superhatch size 40 with new Marine grade Acrylic color 126-4 Bronze. Replace the lower rubber gasket and upper seal for new Lens."
"- Handles rebuilt with custom installation of four Rollstop (new style) kits."

My main cabin hatch is a Lewmar Superhatch size 40, and the V-berth is a size 60.

The TOTAL to rebuild both hatches and custom upgrade them to the new "Rollstop" handles was $827 in 2010. This saved me from having to remove the old hatches, which do not leak, and re-install new hatches.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Mine were an Ocean 40 and an Ocean 50. Fortunately mine are still in production. For out of production hatches I can see the value of Hatchmasters.