Replacing the gooseneck on the boom, C-18

May 25, 2019
Catalina Capri 18 Bronx, NY
Hello All,

I am expecting delivery of a new gooseneck for my 1987 C-18. The description on Catalina Direct says that new holes have to be drilled into the gooseneck to match the holes already in the boom.

Does anyone have any experience doing this? Any recommendations on the proper bit material and size, screws to use, gotcha's etc?

Below is a picture of my broken gooseneck (we sailed for most of this summer with only 1 ear in place) before the other half snapped off, and a picture of the improved version at Catalina Direct

Broken Goose.jpg

Gooseneck.jpg

May 25, 2019
Hello All,

I am expecting delivery of a new gooseneck for my 1987 C-18. The description on Catalina Direct says that new holes have to be drilled into the gooseneck to match the holes already in the boom.

Does anyone have any experience doing this? Any recommendations on the proper bit material and size, screws to use, gotcha's etc?

Below is a picture of my broken gooseneck (we sailed for most of this summer with only 1 ear in place) before the other half snapped off, and a picture of the improved version at Catalina Direct

View attachment 184200
View attachment 184201
Gooseneck.jpg

May 7, 2011
C - 30 # 3573 Lake NormanNC formerly Bflo NY
No big deal.
Use either a high speed steel drill bit or a titanium coated bit. The cap isn't that hard a material so you don't need a cobalt bit. Match the bit to the existing holes in the damaged cap, and use the same size screws -- they are probably #8 screws.
(I replaced my boom cap too many years ago to remember the size.)
Drill slow and use a lubricant. Any light oil if you don't have cutting oil (which is high in sulfur content to dissipate heat of drilling.)

May 25, 2019
No big deal.
Use either a high speed steel drill bit or a titanium coated bit. The cap isn't that hard a material so you don't need a cobalt bit. Match the bit to the existing holes in the damaged cap, and use the same size screws -- they are probably #8 screws.
(I replaced my boom cap too many years ago to remember the size.)
Drill slow and use a lubricant. Any light oil if you don't have cutting oil (which is high in sulfur content to dissipate heat of drilling.)
Thank you! Item arrived today. I am starting to realize that if you don't have a workshop and bench, owning a sailboat becomes a bigger chore!

May 7, 2011
C - 30 # 3573 Lake NormanNC formerly Bflo NY
Or a buddy with a workshop!

One season I was doing a lot of work and semi-permanently set up my WorkMate on the lazarette seat and had a pretty nifty clamp on vice deal I got off eBay that also worked nicely on the companionway steps. . No longer made and the ones on eBay are missing the bar clamp but I suppose any bar clamp would fit it.

BTW some CTY boom caps were pop riveted on.
if you use stainless screws use TefGel or SuperLube or Lanokote to prevent galvanic corrosion between the far apart metals such that the screws will never come out whole again

Sep 15, 2010
hunter 260 water ballasted Michigan
how do you break an ear off the cap? Sailing or accident?

May 25, 2019
The first ear came off while sailing and we never noticed it. The 2nd one came off while sailing, and fortunately it happened while we were not sitting underneath or in the middle of a maneuver.

The Catalina Direct website seems to make it clear that the original material used in the gooseneck was not sufficiently strong enough for the job, and replacing them seems to be a common need.

Not having any of the right tools or mechanical knowledge, we ending up having to may the mechanic in the marina to get this in, and he had to some cutting into the boom to get it to fit, it was not plug and play.

how do you break an ear off the cap? Sailing or accident?