Replacing steaming light and mast integrity

Aug 19, 2019
O'day 23 Maine
Hi all, I plan to replace the existing (original?) steaming light that's mid-way up the mast of my O'Day 23. I have two questions:
  1. Is it ok to remove the existing light "base?" (Part A in the attached photo). I can't tell if it's meant to be a structural reinforcement over the hole (B, in the attached photo) for wiring. It appears to be aluminum. I can imagine that it provided some reinforcement around the hole.
  2. Is it ok to put new small holes (labeled D in photo) in the side of the mast (1 each side, 2 total) for the new steaming/deck light combo.
I'm actually more puzzled/concerned about #1. The small holes certainly don't strengthen the mast, but should be minimal.

Attachments

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
The base for the old light just makes a flat surface to mount to. Doesn't add any support. I wouldn't worry about drilling the new holes either, they're just 1/8" for #8 screws. I've done a few of those same lights.

Aug 19, 2019
O'day 23 Maine
Thanks all! I also asked in another forum (the Discord chat for reddit's r/sailing forum for those interested). Four out of four internet strangers agree it's no big deal. Consensus on the internet? That's as good as proof!

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I'd put some heatshrink over the wire to keep it from chafing against the hole in the mast. Dual wall (also known as adhesive) should do a nice job. Even the stuff from Harbor Freight is surprisingly tough