Replacing standing rigging and furler on a 1984 Hunter 31

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 31 Deale
We suffered a catastrophic failure on the masthead terminal for our fore stay on our H31. Luckily we were able to douse the sails and move the main halyard forward to the bow to secure the mast before it topple over.

The rigging is original so my wife and I have decided to replace all the rigging. We got two quotes from local riggers in the Annapolis area. The labor and materials are both in the same neighborhood ($7K) but the quotes vary widely on the replacement furler. One is specing a $3.5K Harken Mk 4 furler and the other is spec'ing a Hood SL furler ($1.1K).

We are weekend and at most 4 day cruisers, do not race, and we reef early and aggressive if the winds exceed 15kts.

I feel the Hood furler is "good enough" and that the Harken is way overkill for our needs. Replacing the rigging ourselves is not an option due to work and family commitments. We do DIY everything on the boat but this is too big, too much for us to deal with.

We plan on keeping the boat for at least another 10-15 years.

What says the community? Thoughts?

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
I replaced all standing rigging on my H31 about 2 years ago after mast loss in a race. In my area the standing rigging cost was about $6k for materials and labor. Obtained competing quotes and all were in this range.

Also had to replace my RF and went with a CDI from a larger boat but I was able to obtain it from a marine salvage shop/boater resale place after Florida hurricanes for a greatly reduced price from new. Quotes for new Rfs were in the $3k range at that time. You might want to try some of the boater resale shops in your area, Florida or down here in Kemah. What brand did you have on your boat now? Is it repairable?

I can’t speak for Hood vs Harken other than my old RF was a harken and it worked great. Check the specs for the hood to be sure it is suited for your boat. Also confirm it’s the complete set up (drum, top swivel, foil, etc and material specs). This sounds too good to be true.

Dr J who frequently posts on this site may have more insight to the Harken vs The Hood. U might want to send her a PM note and ask her opinion.

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
Correction. Her name on the forum is DrJudyB. Reach out to her via PM on RF info. Good luck.