Replacing spreader end. Locktite?

Mike25

Feb 14, 2022
Macgregor Venture 25 Atlanta
Venture 25 1975
Recently broke a spreader end cap and ordered new ones that are metal. They are two pieces. The end pinches the stay as it's tightened into the cap that fits into 7/8 tube with two 6 by 32 machine bolts. Should I use some type of thread sealer or locktite on these threads? Seems like they could loosen with vibration. I do want to be able to remove them if needed. Any recommendations appreciated

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
Venture 25 1975
Recently broke a spreader end cap and ordered new ones that are metal. They are two pieces. The end pinches the stay as it's tightened into the cap that fits into 7/8 tube with two 6 by 32 machine bolts. Should I use some type of thread sealer or locktite on these threads? Seems like they could loosen with vibration. I do want to be able to remove them if needed. Any recommendations appreciated
Use Locktite blue. It will allow disassembly.

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
Following on to @Tsatzsue 's comment, there are two good choices for your application. Loctite 243 (commonly known as blue Loctite) is fine. But, strictly speaking, the ideal product for 6-32 screws is Loctite 222 (purple), which is very similar to 243 but intended for smaller thread diameters (below 1/4 inch).

Given the price of Loctite you might want to have just one kind, in which case 243 is the better choice, since it's okay to use on smaller screws. But make sure you have good-quality screws whose sockets won't torque out (or heads torque off) when you go to remove them, later. Hex socket machine screws would probably be best.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
What does the manufacturer of the new parts recommend?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
But, strictly speaking, the ideal product for 6-32 screws is Loctite 222 (purple), which is very similar to 243 but intended for smaller thread diameters (below 1/4 inch).
I learned something today, thank you!

crpdm

Oct 23, 2008
Macgregor 26D Highlake IL
Is the whole thing metal, or just the cap? Loctite will cause plastic to become brittle and crack.

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
That's a really good point, @crpdm . And the Loctite doesn't even need to actually touch the plastic to degrade it. Although, outdoors I suspect even a small air gap is safe.