Replacing shrouds and stays

Nov 1, 2020
Hunter 27 Annapolis
I'm looking at some Hunter 27s from the 70s and most have not had standing rigging replaced in the POs ownership. I was curious how many anyone has paid recently to update shrouds or stays, and if any supplier has stock replacements.

Oct 30, 2011
Hunter Cherubini 27 Mason
Any Marina that offers a rigging service should be able to replae all your standing rigging. Ends and turnbuckels are standard through the in dustry

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I'm looking at some Hunter 27s from the 70s and most have not had standing rigging replaced in the POs ownership. I was curious how many anyone has paid recently to update shrouds or stays, and if any supplier has stock replacements.
Parts including standing rigging can be ordered here on this site.
‘Suggest you contact @Dave Groshong to discuss.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
The wire and swaged on terminals won't be that expensive, you can measure it yourself, or check the Catalina 25 handbook (should find the specs there) Order online is one way, but since you're in an area where sailing is popular you might find a shop that will make up a set for you to install yourself at a reasonable price. If you have to replace the turnbuckles and toggles, the price will go up a couple hundred. You can actually figure it out yourself, if you know the lengths, by looking up the price of wire, fittings and machine swage labor... also... Catalinadirect.com is an aftermarket company that will sell premade sets of rigging for your boat.... price for pre 87 std rig will exceed 1000, but this includes all fittings... You can also remove the rigging (that means dropping the mast) and send it to the rigging company of choice and have them duplicate. The important thing is to shop around, it's a major.... but very important.... maintenance item on any boat.

PS.... I just realized you were inquiring about Hunter 27's rather than the Cat 25 indicated in your profile....so... for get catalinadirect. But it may give you an idea about expense. Later.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
I just had all the standing rigging replaced on my ‘82 H30 this month. All 9/32” and 1/4” 19 strand 316 stainless. The total cost was just under $3,000 and $700 of that was labor. Your H27 should be less and you‘ll save if you do the work yourself.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Estimated cost for an O'Day 25 is about $600. SBO can give you a quote by measuring without shipping them in. They claim to have very competitive prices. You can also give local rigging shops a call. I was able to get rough quotes over the phone but they asked for the originals if I went ahead with the purchase

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
did my h34 few years ago, used sea coast south in Forida, I found them to be the most reasonable and they did most of the rigging for hunter in the 1980s

Very easy process, sent them one of all the original peices and the duplicate it

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
I replaced all of the standing rigging on my H27 in 2018. $685.62 including tax and shipping from Rigging Only. All stays were 3/16" 316 stainless except for the forestay that was 1/4". That includes swaged fittings on all wire terminals except for the forestay that came with a sta-lok fitting that I installed after threading through the roller furler. I had the yard drop the mast and their rigger did a final inspection of my work before splashing the boat. Not a difficult diy job for me, other than mating the forestay wire with the furler. My old Harken furler was a bear to disassemble enough to get the wire through and then get it back together. Other furlers might be easier.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
My old Hood furler likes to get caught on the edge of the top swage. Took two hours to get it unhooked when I stepped the mast. The marina had to send a guy up when they stepped it. Hopefully you dont have to deal with an issue like that

Nov 1, 2020
Hunter 27 Annapolis
I replaced all of the standing rigging on my H27 in 2018. $685.62 including tax and shipping from Rigging Only. All stays were 3/16" 316 stainless except for the forestay that was 1/4". That includes swaged fittings on all wire terminals except for the forestay that came with a sta-lok fitting that I installed after threading through the roller furler. I had the yard drop the mast and their rigger did a final inspection of my work before splashing the boat. Not a difficult diy job for me, other than mating the forestay wire with the furler. My old Harken furler was a bear to disassemble enough to get the wire through and then get it back together. Other furlers might be easier.
Thanks. Did you measure and send in originals?

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
I didn't send in the originals. I had the mast unstepped removed all the old stays and laid them out on the dock. Measured three times and sent info to Rigging Only.