Replacing sanitary hose with rigid PVC pipe

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
Yes, Black ABS is better but must use flexible hose as coupling. See attached. Had them for 12 years now. No smell.

Attachments

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I'm pretty sure PVC isn't $ 7.99/foot - on sale!

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
This is what I used on my Hunter 41, both heads and all associated plumbing from black tank.
It's been a few years and it's been great. No odor permeation warranty. There are cheaper sources than WM for this but it was the easiest link to find.
Edit: Remember ever joint on a pvc hose is a potential fail point. I doubt you could actually go end to end with rigid pipe.

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
Takes a lot of trial and error and patience to fit it all together. You can use a heat gun to soften up the pvc to make gradual bends. Use the best sanitation hose for the end connections. Don't rigidly attach the pvc to the boat. Use cable ties with slack and spray foam to hold it and to keep from vibrating too much. And plan ahead, once its all glued in place, you can't easily remove it to get to something else.
[URL="https://forums.sailboatowners.com/media/nsholdingtank2.26506/"][/URL]

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
No way PVC would work on our boat as a sanitation hose. Too many turns, bends and twists as it is with most boats. Replaced the clogged hose between our aft toilet and holding tank with Trident from Defender. Pricey, but will last the life of the boat and easy to work with.

Mr Fox

Aug 31, 2017
Marshall 22 Portland, ME
PVC has the advantage of impermiability to odors. On the other hand, it will require precise measuring and potentially many connections to fit properly. Sure you can get a 10’ section cheap, but do you actually have a perfectly straight 10’ run? It is prone to vibration damage, and you'll be hard pressed to ensure it is not contacting any solid section of the boat where this might occur. If it passes through a space where anything is stored, it is susceptible to damage from shifting items.

There are several options of hose that have proven imperiabilty (see Peggie's recommendations). Hose can be routed easily though bulkheads and along curved hulls with no need for support as vibration is not an issue. Hose will not be cracked by something shifting on to it. Also in a pvc setup you will need some hose at the curved bits or the ends (connecting to head and holding) which begs the question why not just one length of hose?

Last edited: