Replacing sails on 2000 Hunter 320

Jun 22, 2004
Hunter 320 Benicia, Ca
We have a 2000 Hunter 320 an are looking to replace both sails. We have a stock Doyle sails - 2 reef points - roller furling jib. I am looking for recommendations. We live in Benicia California and do beer can races in the Carquinez Straights - and otherwise sail around the Bay and Delta. We are not serious racers - durability a larger concern.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Do you have a Doyle Sails franchise in the area? They made a lot of sails for Hunter. They were not high end sails but they know the boats and can probably meet your needs - especially in durability. You'll pay more than Hunter did but will probably get pretty good sails. Since they are local they can adjust the sail design for your area. Bay and Delta sailing seem to me to be very different sail design challenges.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I replaced the head and main sails on my Hunter 31 and 386 with relatively heavy weight (10 ounce I recall) dacron from UK Halsey (sales office in Alameda, California). Heavy weight sails recommended for durability in the waters you sail in. Of course, there are a lot of other sail makers in the SF Bay and each provide recommendations on material, weight, batons, etc. The links below can provide some useful information on sail selection. Good luck!!
https://www.practical-sailor.com/issues/29_21/features/4879-1.html
https://www.uksailmakers.com/encyclopedia/1-1-introduction

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
First, select your sailmaker!

When we began replacing the old sails on our Hunter 27, I got 3 quotes from local (Cleveland) sailmakers. Then, I set out to talk to them, looking for someone I could trust to advise me. I liked the Doyle proposal the best, so I met with Greg Koski, who ran their local loft. We had a meeting of the minds, and I convinced him I would never race our shoal draft boat. He came to our boat, and recommended a priority for replacement. (Main first, then the 110 genny. Keep the 130 genny. Consider an asymmetric spinnaker later.) We ended up taking his advice as cash and bonuses funded the plan. He was available to answer any questions I had about selecting or tuning sails. He stores and inspects our sails over the winter, recommending small repairs at very reasonable prices when needed. 20 summers later I can say he has played a key role in our enjoyment of 500 days of cruising over 8,000 nm. When it was time to replace our sails ( after 10 years of cruising) Greg had shifted to Ullman Sails, and we stuck with him, valuing his advice and support over the brand name.

So I suggest you find a local sailmaker you can trust, and take his advice for your boat, sailing plans, and location.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Don't know in what condition your sails are but it would not hurt to check with a sail shop to see if they could be washed and refurbished. We had a similar 2000 h320 and did that in 2015 and they turned out almost like new and saved a bundle.