Replacing roller furling unit on a 1990 Legend 37

Jul 31, 2010
Hunter 37 Muskegon, MI
We are looking to replace the roller furling unit on our 1990 Legend 37. This boat has the drum installation under the deck in the anchor locker. We are looking at installing a ProFurler R350 unit. We are curious if anyone else has installed one of these units on a Legend 37 or 37.5. We are trying to confirm that the unit can fit and operate.

May 9, 2020
Hunter Legend 37 Harrison Twp, MI
I assume you want to keep in installed below deck?

Can’t say for sure, ours was changed for a Harken Mark iii years before we bought the boat. Whoever did the install managed to fit it below the deck and it works, but the clearance of the drum in the anchor well is incredibly tight. Less than a 1/4” clearance.
Just looking at pictures, it looks like the Profurl is more chunky than the Harken... I would guess if it fits, it will be really, really tight!

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37.5 Jacksonville FL
We are looking to replace the roller furling unit on our 1990 Legend 37. This boat has the drum installation under the deck in the anchor locker. We are looking at installing a ProFurler R350 unit. We are curious if anyone else has installed one of these units on a Legend 37 or 37.5. We are trying to confirm that the unit can fit and operate.
Installed the Pro Furl unit on my 96 37.5 Could not be more pleased. Only negative was the requirement to modify the anchor locker lid. Would not clear the drum when opened.

Jul 31, 2010
Hunter 37 Muskegon, MI
I assume you want to keep in installed below deck?

Can’t say for sure, ours was changed for a Harken Mark iii years before we bought the boat. Whoever did the install managed to fit it below the deck and it works, but the clearance of the drum in the anchor well is incredibly tight. Less than a 1/4” clearance.
Just looking at pictures, it looks like the Profurl is more chunky than the Harken... I would guess if it fits, it will be really, really tight!
Thanks for the insight! I am concerned it would be really tight too.

Jul 31, 2010
Hunter 37 Muskegon, MI
Installed the Pro Furl unit on my 96 37.5 Could not be more pleased. Only negative was the requirement to modify the anchor locker lid. Would not clear the drum when opened.
Was that installation above deck then?

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37.5 Jacksonville FL
Thanks for the insight! I am concerned it would be really tight too.
Much easier to access when drum is above deck. Frees up space in anchor locker and furling line can run free all above deck.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
When you raise it above deck, wouldn't you need to modify the sail? Mine would have to be. Personally , I like the clean look of my below-deck furler.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
This boat has the drum installation under the deck in the anchor locker.
Has the existing unit stopped working? Different model boat here, but our 1991 Hood double line system, also below deck, has served us well over the years.