Replacing Roller Furler Line on CDI-F2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2009
MacGregor 26X Lake Lanier Georgia
My CDI-F2 roller furling line is about to give up the ghost. Has anyone had any experience replacing the line. The CDI-F2 manual says wrap it about 20 times and then put through the hole and secure with a knot.

When my foresale is completely rolled in there appears to be quite a few wraps on it so the 20 wraps seems about right.

I would appreciate any help or advise as I am afraid to tackle this and find out half way through the process that I made a critical mistake.

Thanks.

Apr 30, 2006
Macgregor 26s Kemah, TX
I replaced the furler line on my CDI-F2 a few months ago. First, furl the sail completely, including a wrap or two with the sheets, and then tie the unit off so it doesn't unfurl. Remove the old line, then run the new furling line up to the bow and put no more than one or two turns on the drum. If the sail is furled, you don't need 20 turns. Unfurl and furl the sail once or twice in light air to check.

Keep in mind that the drum is small, so if you have a large genny (130 or more), you may need small line. I used 3/8 and I have a 150 genny so it's snug on the drum. Keeping tension on the furling line as the genny is pulled out helps a bit.
Good luck.

Oct 6, 2008
Macgregor Venture 25 St Louis, MO
I have a CDI FF1 and just replaced the line. This is from the manual

"5. The system is designed for 5/32” or 3/16” dacron line.
Make sure you have enough to completely furl your largest
sail plus about five extra turns. This will allow you to furl an
extra tight furl in heavy winds and still have a couple of
turns left. Before hoisting the sail for the first time, wind
about twenty turns on the spool. Turns can be added or​
subtracted as necessary after setting the sail."

Mine had 1/4" line but I replaced it with 3/16" because that's what the manual suggested. Since, I've been wondering if that isn't awfully small. Seems to me that tension between the furling line and the sheet maintains sail area unless it's completely unfurled. 3/16" holding against 3/8" doesn't seem a fair fight.

I haven't had it out since the replacement, but hope to give it a try this weekend.

John

Jan 22, 2009
MacGregor 26X Lake Lanier Georgia
Robspan...Thanks for the help. I too have a 150 Genny so based on what you and others said (including the manual at 3/16" line) I think I'll try a compromise of 1/4" line. The procedure seems simple enough based on your experience.

Again, thanks to all who responded.

Oct 18, 2007
Macgregor 26S Lucama, NC
My CDI has a 100% jib and 3/16" furling line. The spool is only about half full when my jib is fully out. If I ever replace it, I'll get 1/4" or 5/16" line. The 3/16" is rough on your hands is you're trying to furl in heavy wind. -Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.