Replacing reefing line sheeves on a 1983 Beneteau First 38

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
The sheaves are held in place by flat head screws about 3 in. long.
I think I would fill the hole with thickened epoxy, redrill and put the screw back in. There may be better ideas out there. Check that there is not some water logged core material that needs removing.

Mar 3, 2023
Beneteau idylle 11.50 Seward
Hi Marcos,
If memory serves, for the boom end they used the same system as for the masthead, that is the sheaves are mounted on a common axel that slides on a V shape groove from the open end of the the sheave box. I dealt with the masthead a few moths back, and ended up making custom sheaves as nothing I could find felt acceptable. I documented my process here
Restoring Canis: Episode 2…

All the best,
Alejandro
Alejandro
Alejandro,
I watched your video and saw that you drafted the CNC file for the sheave profiling tool. I have numerous sheaves that I need to replace and can’t find any locally up here in Alaska, but I do have access to a lathe. Is there any way I can obtain the CNC file for the HSS tool you created (I’d be happy to discuss compensation for your time drafting the file)? I have an 85 Idylle 11.50 that I believe uses the same (or close to) running rigging components.

Thanks,
Dan