Replacing Raymarine RS 130 GPS Antenna

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
I am having issues with the GPS heading indication on my Raymarine E120. As indicated by the RED vector line, it sometime is correct and is sometimes out by up to 120 degrees. Sometimes it responds correctly after I turn the boat in a circle, sometimes not. Green vector line works correctly along with "auto" setting on autopilot, as I changed fluxgate compass over the winter. I suspect problem is the RS 130 antenna. I took a look at how it's attached from inside my port cockpit locker. I could not find any screws, nuts or thumbscrews, only a thin wire connected. Is it glued down at the factory with 5200? Anyone have any advise as to my issue with the heading problem?

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
vectors are calculated values. two GPS positions and the delta of time between taking those two positions are the variables used in the calculation. So if your positions are being reported correctly (ie the boat is where the GPS says it is) and assuming you have GPS positions correct the GPS time is also correct sooooo
I"m thinking that you have a calculation problem on the E120. Software update time???
The green and red vector lines are what exactly? COG, heading, course, bearing??
COG is the line the boat makes over the ground regardless of which way you are pointing (heading)
course is the direction you steer on the compass (or other course instrument)
Bearing is the direction to an external object like a light house or day mark

Dec 22, 2012
Hunter 27-3 103 Gables By The Sea
The other day, I installed a Digital Yachts GPS 150 antenna for a RayMarine C80. It had some screws for mounting; however, since you will use caulking anyways it is much easier to just glue down with silicone. If you have silicone already then make sure you clean all off with acetone or toluene because silicone doesn't like to stick to itself. Don't use 5200 unless you wish to destroy the piece to remove. To remove use a very thin spatula. a little sharp and carefully cut it loose.

Oct 27, 2016
Seattle
And now a word from the sponsor...
Replacement in-deck solar panel

Finally, a drop-in replacement for the in-deck solar panel on Hunters built from the early 90s through the mid-2000s. Improved for longer life and greater output.
See the product

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
Art, my understanding is the battery only helps the antenna get a fix quickly when power is turned off. My unit is flashing green correctly and doesn't have a problem getting a fix. Have you changed your battery?

Dec 22, 2012
Hunter 27-3 103 Gables By The Sea
The Digital Yachts GPS 150 antenna is powered from a DC source via two wires. The antenna itself is wired to NMEA 0183 on the C80. It was necessary to run 4 wires two for power and two for NMEA 0183. The antenna maker sent me the connection diagram; also there are some internal dip switches.

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
On my C80 had GPS problem until I changed the Battery in the GPS head.