Replacing Old Instruments

Mar 1, 2016
Oday 28 Tracy's Landing
View attachment 127704 View attachment 127705
I have a 1984 ODay 28. I’m installing Raymarine chart-plotter, auto helm and in-the-hull transducer for depth readings. She currently has 2 gauges that do not function installed in the cabin side facing the cockpit. One is a depth meter and the other is a know meter.

I’m planning on removing them and considering options to fill the void. One idea is cut out the holes into a rectangle and install a portal – either an opening one or just a window. Another idea is to fiberglass and gel coat over the area. A third is to put some sort of finished white paint coated circular plates or inspection ports. See the photos and let me know you thoughts. My wife’s idea is to install a little shelf inside the cabin where the backside of these instruments are now, maybe a spice rack or something like that.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
I have an old instrument that still kind of functions...Its a depth meter. Use it all the time...
When the time comes it stops working...I'll probably just replace it with a new one.

Last edited:

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
On my old boat I replaced the holes with plexiglass. Added great light to once dark corners inside the cabin

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Can I have the old instruments?

You could put a Raymarine knot log and depth there. The backs of those are round and will fit right in.
Also Datamarine is still in business. They have the same instruments available but with NMEA output.

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
I would definitely replace the know meter. Otherwise, how will you know?

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
I might be in the same circumstance. I installed the SX5 autopilot a few seasons ago and I'm still using my Datamarine depth and speed but my wind is not functioning. The p70 control head for the autopilot is capable of showing depth speed and wind direction. Why would you need multiple displays? The i70 and p70 should suffice. Like Jacksaw said I'd keep it on the bulkhead. I have to move forward the wheel to trim the sails and find the p70 is difficult to see/reach when I want it.

May 6, 2010
1984 Oday 39 79 Milwaukee
Installing here means only the driver gets to see them, and only when standing directly behind the wheel.
This may be a dumb question, but I need to install some additional instruments and have been debating location - adding wind and possibly a plotter in addition to our existing B&G quad speed/depth/temp display which is at the helm. I have debated bulkhead or companionway vs helm, but especially for the wind, if it is not at the helm and I am single handing, accessing the instruments seems like it will be a pain. What are the pros and cons of each location?

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I must say when I am steering the boat I want my
Plotter within fingers reach to expand or whatever I want to see what I need to see. Sure can "see" it on the bulkhead but can't interact quickly if need be and see what I want. Can care less about others...... They aren't steering

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
The bulkhead is the first thing obscured when ever we have guests on board, The companion way door obscures them, the cushions the wife & guests sit on obscures them and switches the settings. I still have a functioning depth there. but the instruments I need to run the boat are at the helm -- I might consider putting an i70 where the knot meter was but the new instruments are so much smaller the existing hole will need to be repaired (inside and out) - or maybe starboard plates to cover up the big holes.

Mar 1, 2016
Oday 28 Tracy's Landing
I've got an A77 Raymarine multi-function chartplotter device. If I mount it by the cabin area I doubt I'll be able to read it adequately. That is why I'm thinking of a binnacle mount. I don't think the A77 does a wind gauge. I'd not planned on one yet. the existing knot meter for speed I think requires a thru hull paddle wheel that tends to clog up and is scary to remove and replace. Not sure why the installed depth meter is not working.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
I most definitely would install the chartplotter at the helm. You need to be able to view it while steering. It's the wind, depth, speed and autopilot that are convenient to have forward the helm..I also agree with Leslie that the bulkhead can get blocked from view. Everything is a trade off. The only time I'm really concerned about depth is when I'm motoring into an unknown area and I would be manually steering the boat at that point anyways. I would voice my concern to anyone blocking an instrument. I mounted my p70 where the PO had the ST4000 (autopilot) behind the helm. and it's a peter to access when I'm tacking. unfortunately all my sail controls are forward the helm and having easy access to the autopilot would makes single handling a lot easier. Another instance of having the autohelm mounted on the bulkhead is when it's raining. I don't have a Bimini but I do have a dodger and it would be nice to have control of the autopilot and stay dry! Just some thoughts. Your choice.

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
Since one of your alternatives might be to install a small portal/window where the instruments now are, here is another possible option along the same general "theme". But much simpler to accomplish.

I have three of the same style DataMarine instruments also mounted on the same starboard side bulkhead as you do. The wind speed/direction was no longer working and not worth the repair attempt. I eventually tired noticing the dead display whenever out sailing. Took a me a few years do something about it.

First, I removed the interior instrument cluster from the assembly. But I kept the the outside ring and glass in place. The interior side of the glass is painted with the DataMarine black decals. I don't recall exactly, but I think I used acetone soaked paper towels to aid the removal of the decal. But also, over the years, my decals became brittle. (See the attached photo showing how the window decal for my depth gauge face was peeling.) If the same with yours, carefully scraping with a razor knife blade also might remove the decals. "Carefully" to avoid scratching the glass.

The 4" (or so) round holes instantly become sealed ports letting some additional light into the cabin. No finding/buying/installing replacement fittings into or over the openings.

My DataMarine instruments are the previous generation to yours -- which is the "Corinthian" iteration. The interior electronic clusters come off from the assembly by removing the large snap ring. The depth and speed instruments have switches mounted through the glass. From the inside, the wires can be removed. Then leaving the switches in place I think is still aesthetically acceptable. Or remove them and replace with a 316 SS nut/bolt combination + rubber washers + caulk to seal from water leakage. Don't tighten too much of course to avoid breaking the glass.

Attachments

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
If you need access to the AP while forward, put a remote control on it. I wouldn't give mine up for a thousand bucks..

Mar 1, 2016
Oday 28 Tracy's Landing
In removing the instruments what did you do with the old wiring? I'm thinking I just cut, then electricians tape up the ends and stuff them into the cavity they came from. The other option is the route them back to the switch panel and discard them - sounds like a better solution in the long but much more work, What did you do and if you tracked them back to the electric panel how much effort was it and how did you do it?