Replacing Motor Mounts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2009
2005 catalina 310 gig harbor, Wa
Anyone have any experience replacing Motor Mounts. I plan on doing the aft two or maybe all 4. I cannot decide between after market or OEM. I am not having any excessive vibration issues and plan on replacing one that had the top ear break off that is not structurally significant yet. It is portside aft so my thoughts are just to replace port and SB aft ones. The aftermarket mounts are signifacantly cheaper in costs . and appear to be very well made by bushings Inc. I could buy a set of 4 for the price of one OEM. Here is the link. http://shop.torresen.com/utility/assets/bushings/DF-2200 SERIES.pdf
Anyone have any experience with these MM? or any other aftermarket brands vs. the OEM MM?

Truckman

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
I replaced all (4) of mine last winter with OEM. The reason I used OEM were 2 fold.

1) They were the only ones that provided the lateral range of movement necessary the bring my drive system into proper alignment.
2) The contact surface area for the rubber is more robust than other designs.

At some time prior to my ownership the heat exchanger mount welds failed (as they do on most, due to vibration). This caused the area around the aft port mount to become wet for a sustained period. When I tried to remove the bolds they twisted off, this is in light of the fact that I had the engine out, (for other reasons) providing direct access, used plenty of PB Blaster, and impact driver. Aluminum and SS, add a dash of NaCl and viola, you have frozen bolts. As a result I had to drill and tap new holes next to the old ones. I chose to drill them starboard of the original holes due to the fact that in order to achieve proper alignment on my boat the motor needed to be offset to starboard. If I had not chosen the OEM mount, I would not have had the lateral movement to allow for the repositioning of the new holes.

Make sure you grease the bolts when you put them back in and be patient.

I also put a 3/4" spacer under the forward mounts. This allowed for the adjustment to be lower (see Pic). Having the adjustment lower provides for more stability in the system.

I got a good deal from Norm at Marine Engine & Repair in Seattle (206) 286-1817 for $118/per. Not sure if they are still in business. They were from a new engine that someone had ordered, but were not going to use.
Good luck with your project!

Attachments

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2009
2005 catalina 310 gig harbor, Wa
Witzend, Thanks for the reply. And great pics. I am a little concerned that I may have a problem getting the lags out of the stringer as well. Marine Engine and Repair is still in business so I will give them a call as they are local to me. Thanks again for your feedback.

dave

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
They are not lag bolts, they are SS 3/8" -16 X 2 1/4" long. I would get a couple in advance just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.