Replacing large fixed portlights on 84 37C

Jul 28, 2013
Hunter 34 Lake Norman
I am looking at replacing the large fixed port lights on my 84 Hunter 37C. I have removed all the screws from the inside but can not get the frame around the window to budge. Just do not want to break the original frame as I do not know if a replacement is available. Is it required to remove the frame on the outside first ?

Blaise

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Bradenton
I replaced all of Midnight Sun's hatch's and ports with Lewmar aluminum ones more that 20 years ago and they are still going great. I would advise that you get rid of all the plastic ports. You will never be happy with them.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
But Blaise, he is talking about those long non-opening ports that are on the later models. I don't think there are opening ports made long enough to replace one of those.

Attachments

Blaise

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Bradenton
Ed,
You are right. I have seen the large ports replaced with lexan screwed and sealed to the exterior of the cabin. I don't know they are finished on the inside.

Jan 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Seattle
Ed,
You are right. I have seen the large ports replaced with lexan screwed and sealed to the exterior of the cabin. I don't know they are finished on the inside.
How is the transparency on the Lexan? My large ports are original (I believe) and I can hardly see outside because of micro-scratches.

Oct 25, 2008
Hunter 37 Cutter, 1980 Solomons, MD
But Blaise, he is talking about those long non-opening ports that are on the later models. I don't think there are opening ports made long enough to replace one of those.
Lewmar Size 4 ports can be purchased opening (little more than 25" long), and can also be had with the angled cut if that was something desired to keep.

I have an older hull so I don't have any reference, but are those not long enough? The ports on my 1980 boat are the Pompanette/Gray size 715 (7"x15"), just for comparison.

http://www.apsltd.com/c-1381-standardportlights.aspx#

Fit Guide...
http://www.lewmar.com/\assets\img\d...atch Portlight Fitting Guide from Web2010.pdf