Replacing Inhaul / Outhaul lines

Dec 29, 2017
Beneteau Oceanis 411 Baltimore
My next set of lines needing replacement are the inhaul / outhaul for the in mast furling system - standard Charleston spar. I’ve found one video on the topic, but not much else from a content perspective. Is this a task that others have done and can provide guidance / tips on efficient ways to complete? Any good content areas describing the process? I have the lines on order from Catalina direct and am weighing completing myself or getting a local rigger out. Thanks all.

Aug 29, 2016
Catalina 2004 310 (Hull #250) BC
My next set of lines needing replacement are the inhaul / outhaul for the in mast furling system - standard Charleston spar. I’ve found one video on the topic, but not much else from a content perspective. Is this a task that others have done and can provide guidance / tips on efficient ways to complete? Any good content areas describing the process? I have the lines on order from Catalina direct and am weighing completing myself or getting a local rigger out. Thanks all.
I replaced mine last year on my Charleston spar in mast furling system:
Inhaul: Samson Warp Speed II 3/8" 62'
Outhaul: Samson Warp Speed II 7/16" 52'
Fairly simple process to swap out. Certainly not worth getting a rigger unless you run into problems. I had read that some had a seized locking screw but luckily I did not have that issue.
Good luck!

pk104

Jun 30, 2009
Catalina 310 Atwood Lake
I have had no luck removing the lock screw on the inhaul line. If any one has a way to remove it please let me know. It looks like a special thread and screw. I have haul 104 so it’s 20 years old and has never been removed. Actually broke a very large screwdriver trying to remove it.

Dec 29, 2017
Yikes - didn’t think about that issue. I will be keeping an eye on responses.

Dec 29, 2017
To those that have completed the process, how challenging was changing the outhaul line? Did you whip the old line to the new one to run it through the boom or use some other method?

Aug 29, 2016
Catalina 2004 310 (Hull #250) BC
To those that have completed the process, how challenging was changing the outhaul line? Did you whip the old line to the new one to run it through the boom or use some other method?
I used my Ancor metal fish tape line and taped it to the old line and pulled through. I would’ve used my whipping twine but couldn’t find my kit at the time. There’s a sharp angle as it exits out the pulley inside the boom towards the mast but that’s it. I also left a tag line inside the boom for future.

Jul 1, 2009
Catalina 310 Sydney-Pittwater
I have had no luck removing the lock screw on the inhaul line. If any one has a way to remove it please let me know. It looks like a special thread and screw. I have haul 104 so it’s 20 years old and has never been removed. Actually broke a very large screwdriver trying to remove it.
My rigger broke a carbon drill trying to drill it out. Consequently I had to drill around it in the aluminium to dig out, then tap a hole for a larger screw. Coated this with antisieze. Been good now for over ten years.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Same question came up on this thread Charleston Spar - In mast furling | Sailboat Owners Forums See post #3 detailed procedure.

Furling control line replacement per the attached: 1. Remove the sail 2. Fully unroll the control from the endless screw. 3. Loosen the furling control locking screw on the endless screw 4. Remove the furling control from its housing 5. Install the new control and make sure that it is flush, but not sticking out. 6. Lock the new control with the locking screw. 7. Proceed with rotating the endless screw with the number of rotations required to roll in the new furling control 8. Re -set the mainsail.

Attachments

Last edited: