Replacing Head Hoses - check for permeated poly tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

njsail

Feb 18, 2010
Bavaria Ocean 40 CC Forked River
This spring I'll be replacing all the sanitation hoses on our 2001 Bavaria 40 Ocean. I already put in a new head and a couple new hoses. The head stinks nasty in the enclosed area containing the holding tank and hoses. The question is how can I tell if the poly holding tank is permeated? It doesn't leak at all but I can't tell if the smell is just the hoses or the tank as well. I've already cleaned up the entire area where the hoses are enclosed. on the 40 Ocean the poly holding tank is behind the shower wall. When the shower wall is removed the holding tank is easily accessible and looks like it's bolted down. I don't know if it's glued to the hull and the bolts are just to keep it from shifting or it's only the bolts holding it on. I figure If I'm going to go through all the trouble of crawling back there and dealing with all that nastiness I don't want to learn after finishing the new hose installation that the stink was also coming through the holding tank. I also have a lectrasan back there I don't use that could possibly be contributing.

Yes I've read other posts that say the poly tank can't be the source of odors...but I still have a nagging suspicion it could since it's plastic and I always thought plastic is permeable.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. This is certainly not a job I'm looking forward to...but it certainly is a necessary one.

Jul 8, 2011
Catalina 30 Sidney B.C.
I have a poly tank on mine and it stiinks , I am just at the moment replacing it with a Ronco tank

Alec

Sep 23, 2005
Catalina 28mkII Bohemia River, MD
I'd look real hard at the threaded connections when you take things apart. It wouldn't take much of a leak to create an odor. Also, is there a macerator pump nearby or as part of the Lectrasan? The seals on these can leak letting out the nasty stuff often where you can't see it.

njsail

Feb 18, 2010
Bavaria Ocean 40 CC Forked River
I hadn't thought of the macerator specifically but all of those hoses I'm planing on replacing as well. I just want to launch the boat...put the sails up and go back and forth with a big smile. It would seem there is a lot of C_@p between now and that simple goal. See you in the spring Alec.

Status
Not open for further replies.