Replacing furling line on under deck furler

Jun 17, 2021
Hunter 30t Seattle
Anyone done this? I have a hunter 30t 1991. The furler is accessed through the bow anchor storage locker. Like an idiot I broke my furling line and need to replace

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum!!

Some initial strategies depending if the remaining line is inside or not.

1. Are there deck covers that you can remove to gain assess? If so, should be easy. If not then:
2. Attach a tag line and pull it through then reverse with new line.
3. Use an electrican's snake to feed it through and attach a new line and pull it through.

Jun 17, 2021
Hunter 30t Seattle
oh man that second option is a great one. There is still some line on the drum so I bet that will work. Thank you and thank you for the welcome!

Jun 17, 2021
Hunter 30t Seattle
Thank you! Do you have a recommended youtube video for attaching a tagline, sifting through a few now.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Lots of options:

1. Tie the ends together.
2. If there is not enough room then butt the ends together and sew the ropes together How to Replace Halyard Rope - Sailrite ...get a needle and polyester wax thread and sew the ends together then tape the ends.......that is what I do and works everytime......kind a PITA.
3. OR Whip each line line together and tape them
4. OR use a special hook to attach to each end and tape it.

For each option give it a test pull just to make sure they are secure and will not disconnect.

If you do an internet search on "replacing a main halyard" you will find many YouTube videos on how to attach a tag line.

Last edited:
May 19, 2020
Hunter 30-2 Quincy
I have a 1990 30-2 and replaced my line last year. I have a Flexible Furler 7 (maybe 8) and unfortunately I think it's original to the boat.
You should be able to lay on your belly with the anchor hatch up (carefully secure it so it doesn't come down on your head!) and see the work area.
If I remember correctly my furling drum has a hole in the top that you poke the line through then tie a stopper knot in it. An overhand or figure 8 will do. Then make sure you have the appropriate number of wraps around the drum (check the owner's manual), run the line aft, and you're all set.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Different model boat here, but ours came with a below deck Hood double line furler. The furling line end should rotate through the drum easily, but will require a double braid butt splice to secure the two ends together. In both cases I've hired a rope guy to do the splice. Threading it through the drum was the easy part.

Jun 17, 2021
Hunter 30t Seattle
Thanks Terry. I'm going to try stitching the two together today, if that doesn't work splicing is the next option.

Jun 17, 2021
Hunter 30t Seattle
Update, stitching the lines worked... eventually. first mistake we made was first line meeting slightly to thick so it wouldn't fit through the roller drum hole. second line was correct size and it worked really well. thank you everyone for the advice!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome to the SBO forum. Congrats on your new boat. Now you can go back to the ASA class and teach them your new trick. Fixing the furler using a messenger line.

Suspect this will be one of many new tricks you’ll add to your sailing skills.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Thanks Terry. I'm going to try stitching the two together today, if that doesn't work splicing is the next option.
You're welcome, Rod. A butt stitch should work as a temporary fix, a permanent fix will require a splice, that is if you want the two to stay together when you really need it.

Jun 17, 2021
Hunter 30t Seattle
Thank you Terry. in this case once we ran the rope through we discarded the old one, so no need for a permanent attachment

Feb 27, 2004
Hunter 335 North East, MD
I have the Hood under deck Furler on my 33.5. While it was a bit fiddley, it wasn't that difficult to replace the furling line and I am sure there will be you tube vids for you to peruse. I do remember that I had to de-core the first 10-15' of line that attached to the drum to help lie better