Replacing fresh, potable, water hoses

Nov 14, 2013
Catalina 30 MkI 1983 TRBS Westbrook, CT
Good day wise forum folk,

One of this springs projects on our 1983 Catalina 30 is to replace the potable water hoses. The current hoses appear to be original and when we replaced the pressure pump last year I discovered all sorts of nasty inside the hoses. Also, it appears one of the hoses in the hot water side of the system is clogged as we have very, very low pressure there.

My question is regarding the replacement hose selection. I've noticed. while window shopping on the internet, a Sea Tech and Whale X color coded water tubing. Are there advantages/disadvantages using this, aside from the obvious color coding for hot and cold, over the old tried and true Trident reinforced PVC tubing?

Thanks!

Nov 14, 2013
You appear to be considering a Pex water line systems? They are a system of choice on new boat builds. There are 3 grades of manufactured tubing.
http://www.pexuniverse.com/content/types-of-pex-tubing

Looks like, in my review, the Pex-B product has advantages for marine use.
Thanks John,

Actually my question is if I should consider a Pex system (didn't know that term until I read your post and link, thanks for that). The boat currently has PVC and I'm unclear as to the pros/cons of PVC vs Pex on a boat this age. My thinking is that the PVC worked fine for 30+ years (why fix what isn't broken?) but I have zero knowledge of this other system.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I have listed "a new water system" in my list of 'Refitting a 1974 Cal Boat'. So this winter has been one of reading design and naval construction ideas. Fun visiting a lot of new and used boats looking at what is installed and how fitted. I have seen everything used for water systems. Water jugs, water bottles, PVC, Pex, Polyvinyl tubing (what I have on my boat), and yes copper. The issue with the PVC is
  1. you need to have straight runs or room to make the bends
  2. Boats flex and PVC does not like it. Tends to breakdown the joints.
  3. Leak repair can be a challenge.
I am leaning to the Pex system for these reasons.
  1. A flexible system of water handling
  2. Color coded pipes
  3. The product has been tested by time
  4. Fittings and tool cost high but a onetime cost amortized over system time looks to be less than similar systems made out of other products.
Here is a link that might provide insight to your decision.
http://stevedmarineconsulting.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/WaterSystems152-02-Part-1.pdf

Nov 14, 2013
I have listed "a new water system" in my list of 'Refitting a 1974 Cal Boat'. So this winter has been one of reading design and naval construction ideas. Fun visiting a lot of new and used boats looking at what is installed and how fitted. I have seen everything used for water systems. Water jugs, water bottles, PVC, Pex, Polyvinyl tubing (what I have on my boat), and yes copper. The issue with the PVC is
  1. you need to have straight runs or room to make the bends
  2. Boats flex and PVC does not like it. Tends to breakdown the joints.
  3. Leak repair can be a challenge.
I am leaning to the Pex system for these reasons.
  1. A flexible system of water handling
  2. Color coded pipes
  3. The product has been tested by time
  4. Fittings and tool cost high but a onetime cost amortized over system time looks to be less than similar systems made out of other products.
Here is a link that might provide insight to your decision.
http://stevedmarineconsulting.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/WaterSystems152-02-Part-1.pdf
Thank you again! That is a very insightful article!!
I think we have a nomenclature issue. The PVC I am referring to is the clear, reinforced, hose. That is what is in the boat now. After reading the article I am thinking the Pex might be a better way to go. My concern now is if it will twist, turn and bend to fit where the current hoses run.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Understand.

There are several PVC products as identified in the article.
I did speak with a marine plumbing house that uses the rigid PVC for plumbing holding tanks because the pipes are impervious unlike the flex tubes.

I feel the Pex-B is a great option. You will be able to make gradual bends. The Pex-B line comes with the radius bend recommendations. If you have tight space then you will need to resort to 90 degree fittings. I did read to be careful in installation and not put any lateral pressure on fitting connections. Not that the Pex line will collapse but the fitting (if an O ring sealed fitting) can leak if installed with lateral pressure on the fitting. I suspect this can happen when the installer tries to stretch the pipe or creates a bend and the fitting is not sitting at 90 degrees with no stress on the line.

I did see in a listing of fittings that they have some aides to establish bends and hang/hold the lines in place.

If you get started before I do, send pictures and share the experience.
Best luck.