replacing exterior wood on H23

Jan 13, 2013
Hunter 23 Lake Allatoona
I am replacing most of the old worn wood on my H23 worth Iroko wood. I'm told it is known as African teak. Has anyone ever used this wood before?

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
I had to look it up and this is what I found:

Iroko is a large hardwood tree from the west coast of tropical Africa. It is one of the woods sometimes referred to as African Teak, although it is unrelated to the teak family. The wood colour is initially yellow but darkens to a richer brown over time. It is yielded mostly (probably) by Milicia excelsa. In much of the literature on this timber the names of the trees that yields it are given as Chlorophora excelsa and Chlorophora regia.[1][2] The tree is feared in some cultures where it originates and hence is shunned or revered with offerings.[3] Yoruba people believe that the tree is inhabited by a spirit, and anybody who sees the Iroko-man face to face becomes insane and speedily dies.[4] According to the Yoruba, any man who cuts down any Iroko tree causes devastating misfortune on himself and all of his family.[4] They also claim that the spirit of the Iroko can be heard in houses which use Iroko wood, as the spirit of the Iroko is trapped in the wood.[4] In Nigeria similar claims are made about other trees.[citation needed]

Uses[edit]

Iroko wood
The wood is used for a variety of purposes including boat-building, domestic flooring and furniture. From the late 1990s, it was used as part of the txalaparta, a Basque musical instrument constructed of wooden boards, due to its lively sound.[citation needed] Iroko is one of the traditional djembe woods.

It is a very durable wood; iroko does not require regular treatment with oil or varnish when used outdoors. Although it is almost as durable as teak, it does not have the same stability.[citation needed]

In the UK there are no trade restrictions on the machining of this timber. The only reported adverse effects known to be caused by the dust from Iroko are asthma, dermatitis and nettle rash.

CCHer

Jul 7, 2010
Beneteau 37 Cranes Creek, VA
Used it to make companionway doors to replace the hatch boards on my C310. It held up very well. Used left over to make a rail mount for the dinghy outboard. Looks like real teak, maybe a bit harder, and I'd go back to it again if needed for my new boat.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
lansails;

Whatever wood you do replace, moisture will come up thru the bottom and is is most important to seal the bottom of any wood. I would use cetol as it is a good medium but the first coat should be cut by half with a thinner to insure that the cetol does get into the fine pores and sand lightly every time after each coat.

Jan 13, 2013
Hunter 23 Lake Allatoona
lansails;

Whatever wood you do replace, moisture will come up thru the bottom and is is most important to seal the bottom of any wood. I would use cetol as it is a good medium but the first coat should be cut by half with a thinner to insure that the cetol does get into the fine pores and sand lightly every time after each coat.
Thanks Dave.