Replacing exhaust hose on 1988 MKII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 1, 2012
Pearson 424 Charleston, SC
Does anyone have pointers on best(easiest) way to accomplish this?
Do I need to remove the galley?

Jun 29, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Gibsons
Spindrift, what part of the exhaust hose are you replacing? If it is just the part to the Aqua lift, then, perhaps not, however, I am not sure which parts are above waterline, and which are below. I removed the part from the manifold to the crossover no problem last year, in the water. This spring I plan to put a flexible hose on the part to the aqualift.

Apr 1, 2012
Sorry I wasn't clear. I need to replace from the aqualift back to the transom. The boat is on the hard.

Feb 4, 2012
catilina 22 Roanoke,VA
I just did this last week. I used 19 feet of hose. Bought 20, that was too close. 1990 MKII.

My hose ran under the icebox up to the top of the space under the galley sink then down thru the bottom of that cabinet to the muffler. I did remove the stove and cut two 4" access holes behind the stove to fully discover this! You need to remove the stack of drawers in the galley. This will give you access to the hose as it leaves the cockpit locker. This is also how you fish wire from motor to panel and how you get the water heater out.

Use a hacksaw or battery powered sawsall to cut the old stiff hose out. The new one followed the old route under the icebox but instead of taking it up under the countertop then back down I led it under the cabinet following other hoses to the muffler. I used a 2" plastic conduit strap to secure it to the bottom of the sink cabinet. Once I figured out how to run the hose the job was not that bad.

I was initially wondering why the hose was originally run with the loop up just under the galley sink top then back down under the icebox then back up to the top of the cockpit locker then back down to the transom to exit. I remembered reading that a loop needs to be above the waterline and probably as high as possible but I could not figure out why they did it twice when the boat was built. That led me to think that it had to do with the volume of water in the hose running back in to the muffler when the motor is shut down. I could not find any answers to those questions and I also could not find a way to fish that hose back thru the old undersink routing. And only 20' of hose! The result is that I do have a loop up over the waterline, hose was not too hard to run, the muffler does not seem to back fill too much, very subjective, and the job is done.

Apr 1, 2012
I did get the old exhaust hose out. I pulled the galley off, and the stack of drawers to gain better access, really not a bad job. The hardest part about pulling the galley sink off was getting a screwdriver on the screws. The screw heads were sunk about 1/4" into the wood, the surrounding wood swelled and closed the holes in some. I had to rout out the holes so the screw heads would come out. Washers will alleviate that problem!
The old hose came out in 3 pieces and measures 25 feet. It will be possible to get it back in one piece with a little persuasion. Also since I have access I'm going to replace the waste hose and more importantly the checked fuel hose.

Status
Not open for further replies.