Replacing entire head, toilet, hoses and holding tank.

Sep 11, 2019
Hunter 41DS 37 Maryland
Replacing entire head, toilet, hoses and holding tank. 1977 Endeavour 37, Any recommendations on brand, (elec or manual) and model and size of holding tank? Need to make it a better experience for wife.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Yes she does. Raritan is her preferred brand. Give her a little time, I'm sure she'll weigh in with some ideas.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Bob Welcome to the forum of Sailboat Owners. Great to have you here. You are biting into a big and can be mess project, that will ultimately pay you back with a sweet smelling boat. I wish you all the best.

I would counsel that you run and PUMP OUT, of the soon to be discarded equipment, LOTS OF FRESH WATER. Doing this before you start to take the system apart will give you a better chance at not gagging. You will remove stuff that you will be sure the rubber gloves you are wearing are not thick enough to protect your hands.

What was that TV show... The worst jobs in America. Suspect this project will make you feel your a contestant.:yikes:
:biggrin:

Look forward to hearing about your success.

Sep 11, 2019
Hunter 41DS 37 Maryland
I am not looking forward to becoming the next Mike Rowe. Also, It is pretty clear and the tank is near clean. The smell occurs when when we pump to the holding tank, even if its just a little. No one has gone #2 in it yet.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I used to have an Electrosan head on one of my boats. I have to say that it worked pretty well. There was less odor than any system I had before or since. My wife liked it because it was push button - almost like flushing. I think it would use too much water and the holding tank on that boat would fill pretty fast but I pump out frequently. If the battery were low there could be a problem because there was no backup (Or maybe I should say there was backup).
If you have odor only when you pump out Peggy will 'splain about venting the tank. Flushing more will exchange air in the tank too. Replacing the whole system, while Rowe worthy, may not even solve the problem

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
Installed a Raritan sea era electric fresh water system and the admiral is very happy. No odors/smells and easy to flush. Check to be sure whatever unit/system (head) u go with it will fit and work. Also if you go with freshwater system be sure you follow manufacturers installation instructions on plumbing/wiring (solenoid) so as not to contaminate ur fresh water system. Peggy will want to add to this if u go FW.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I went with the Raritan Sea Era electric flush fresh water supplied toilet. I know the Admiral loves it. It has a water only, short flush, empty bowl, and regular flush mode so you can save on water use and filling up the holding tank. Make sure you flush plenty of water through at the end of the day if you use the water saver modes. Pushing a button to flush makes all the difference in the world for her. Good installation instructions and fairly easy to intall. Fit right in where the Jabsco manual flush toilet went. As far as my wife in concerned its the best "modification" to the boat I've ever installed AS we say here in the south, "If Mamma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy."

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Hi Bob...welcome aboard sbo.com!

Actually I don't recommend one product over another in my book...but I have no problem doing so online.
And all those who've told you that replacing an entire system is a dirty job, obviously haven't read my book, 'cuz it doesn't have to be IF you do enough prep (and prep is 90% of any job) before you start taking anything apart.

Before I give you any advice, I need answers to a whole bunch of questions:
I see you're in MD, which puts you on the Chesapeake Bay...is that your primary cruising grounds? Or are you planning to wander a lot farther afield...and if so, how soon?
Do you want a manual toilet or are you ready to "upgrade" to the convenience of push-button-flush that an electric toilet offers?
What do you have now--make/model age of your toilet...is your tank plastic (I hope?)...if so, do you know who made it? What size, and is it adequate for your needs?
What's your budget for this project--tight or enough to consider all the options?

That's enough to get started. If we have to wander too far into the weeds, it may make sense to move the conversation to email...we'll see. And btw...thanks for buying my book...I think you'll find it useful!

--Peggie

Sep 11, 2019
Hunter 41DS 37 Maryland
Hi Peggie, so good to hear from you. Chesapeake is our primary cruising ground. but plan to take a trip to FL and south next fall. 37 foot Endeavour. 1977, would like to upgrade to electric. budget is enough to cover all options. bob at banksfineart dot com

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
10-15 gal. is pretty small...the average adult uses the toilet 5x/24 hrs, average flush is about 2 liters, so two people will fill up pretty quickly. If your tank is rectangular, determining it's capacity is pretty easy: in inches multiply LxWxH then divide by 231 (cu.in.per gal). The useable capacity is about 90% of the answer rounded to an even number. It's 90% because a) you're using outside dimensions, and b) that's all the USEABLE space without overflowing into the vent and/or inlet line.

Several people have recommended the Raritan SeaEra Raritan SeaEra Promo Sheet It would be an excellent choice...Practical Sailor rated it "best budget buy" a few years ago. But if you want a toilet that uses pressurized fresh water instead of sea water, there's much better choice: the Raritan Marine Elegance Raritan Marine_Elegance Promo.pdf Practical Sailor rated it "best in show" the same review of macerating electric toilets.

You may not be aware that there's only ONE NDZ on whole Chesapeake Bay: Herring Bay. The discharge of treated waste from a USCG certified Type I or II MSD is legal everywhere on the whole Bay...and also on most of the entire east coast south of NC until you get to the FL Keys. So I suggest you also consider adding a Raritan PuraSan to the system Raritan PuraSan Promo Sheet and also the "Hold 'n' Treat" controls Raritan HoldnTreat controls (Raritan also offers a
Hold 'n' Treat "bundle" that includes a holding tank, but because you already have a tank, you'd only need the controls.

Take a little time to read all the info at the links...by then my book should have arrived, so spend a little time reading the applicable chapters.. Write down all your questions...and then we can discuss hoses, tank fittings etc.

--Peggie

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Regarding holding tanks, I looked at Ronco (recommended by Peggie) but ended up going with Plastic Mart when I replaced mine. The tank is in great shape after 12 years so I can recommend Plastic Mart.

I read Peggie's book and had some conversations with her which was a BIG help before diving into the project. Thanks @Peggie Hall HeadMistress :)

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Thanks for the clarification Peggie. I did go with an off the shelf tank size which was cheaper from Plastic Mart and they put the fittings where I requested.