Replacing Elbow with Ebay unit... Thoughts?

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
why when the factory one is $175.00 (155.00 + 15.00 shipping) ...the one on ebay is 170.00

128270-13600 Exhaust elbow U-Type Add to Cart
Why, because it's stainless steel versus Cast Iron I assume. I also see aluminum ones on ebay -they might melt?

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Yanmar

Did you try calling Yanmar for a price they are in Ft Myers 239-332-2515,
a friend just purchased a mixing elbo about a month ago and claims it was less than $150.00.
nick

Mar 20, 2007
Catalina 355 Kilmarnock, VA
From the photos, it certainly looks the same as the cast-iron Yanmar part. Though it would certainly be more resistant to internal rusting, you'd still have the carbonization issue to deal with, which can be ameliorated by running with a higher average RPM. I wonder how this guy can sell a cast 316 SS version at the same price as cast iron?

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
From the photos, it certainly looks the same as the cast-iron Yanmar part. Though it would certainly be more resistant to internal rusting, you'd still have the carbonization issue to deal with, which can be ameliorated by running with a higher average RPM. I wonder how this guy can sell a cast 316 SS version at the same price as cast iron?
because he makes 150 at a time and the fact that yanmar has a outrageous markup on parts if you bought a yanmar engine complete by using the parts department one part at a time the 12,000.00 engine would cost 80,000.00

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
cost is amazingly low to make something like this in quantity.. If ya have a place that can cast stainless.. it requires a a good mold plug to be made, and that is the toughtest and most expensive part.. Once the plug is made, a sand mold is made and melted 316 is poured in.. each one has about $20 worth of stainless or less, depending on his source.. There is a little machine time to thread it.. He is not making a killing, but there is room for profit.. The Pacific Northwest (where the stainless elbow comes from) has a lot of small shops available to service the aircraft and oil industry.. If he were picking up scrap 316 from scrap machine turnings from making other parts, he could cut his raw material cost by a bunch. Not saying it is easy, just saying that a guy (or girl) with a desire to make some dollars on the side could do that without much start up cost.

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
No problem

I would have no problem with that item. The seller has over 700 feedbacks, and all are 100% positive. You can ( I think ) check the feedbacks and contact other buyers if you have questions For the same price, genuine Yamar cast iron or this in stainless. Easy choice for me.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Jon, curious if ya got the elbow and what ya think about it.. Looks like a deal to me.

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
Hi Claude... No I didn't... I decided in the end to stick with the OEM Yanmar parts. Seems safer. -Jon

Feb 25, 2013
Balboa 27 Lake Travis
My 2GM20F purrs at all speeds. Normal exhaust at idle & cruise, but at full throttle it has black exhaust water. No smoke, just black soot in the water. Do I need to replace clean the exhaust U or just run it more?

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
My 2GM20F purrs at all speeds. Normal exhaust at idle & cruise, but at full throttle it has black exhaust water. No smoke, just black soot in the water. Do I need to replace clean the exhaust U or just run it more?
You should take out the U-mixing elbow and decoke it.