Replacing diesel mechanical lift pump

Oct 1, 2011
Canadian Sailcraft 36T PCYC Toronto
Contemplating replacing my mechanical lift pump on my Westerbeke W30 with an electric pump, want to add a RACOR 500 this spring and unsure if this will "be putting a strain on the existing mechanical lift pump"
Can't seem to find the psi spec for the old mechanical pump, does anyone know? And if I were to replace with an electric pump does anyone know what psi range I should be looking at? Don't want to have to install a regulator of any type.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Contemplating replacing my mechanical lift pump on my Westerbeke W30 with an electric pump, want to add a RACOR 500 this spring and unsure if this will "be putting a strain on the existing mechanical lift pump"
Can't seem to find the psi spec for the old mechanical pump, does anyone know? And if I were to replace with an electric pump does anyone know what psi range I should be looking at? Don't want to have to install a regulator of any type.

4 to 7 psi will be ok fine

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
Mine is at the tank

I installed an electric lift pump at the tank. I have two large WIX fuel filters, and the stock mechanical lift pump does not have a problem with them, but I was a little nervous about it.
The way I have mine rigged is a switch for the pump next to it at the fuel tank, and a couple of " T's " so most of the time it is off and not in the circuit. It is worth it on the Yanmar, just to bleed the system if necssary, which it usually is after changing the filters.

Oct 1, 2011
Canadian Sailcraft 36T PCYC Toronto
Thanks Sailaway78, I plan on doing something similar and keepin the mechanical pump as well.