Replacing detaching interior vinyl with wood slats

Mar 21, 2020
Beneteau 351 Oriental
Like everyone, the foam backed vinyl on our 93 351 Oceanis is detaching. I came to Beneteau via Pearsons and the Island Packet over last 45 years. Particularly in the Pearson community, there was a strong push to pull the fabric and install slatted wood in forepeak. I think they are called “ceiling” strips. Has anyone done this in a Beneteau. Great room for insulation behind the teak strips. This is not the prettiest picture, but probably reflects my level of carpentry.

Attachments

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
I think that's a pretty common problem. I've slowly been replacing the fabric in our First38 with slats. Easier to keep clean and keep warm with insulation behind it too.

Mar 21, 2020
Beneteau 351 Oriental
Are you using teak or stained pine. Where to source the teak. Would you post a picture or two? Thank you.

Jan 5, 2017
GEDC0141.jpg This is the only photo on this computer. Still under construction. I used tongue and groove cedar and stained it.

Oct 9, 2013
Beneteau First 38 Belmont Harbor
We are planning to do the same for our 84 Beneteau First 38. Instead of using teak we are also considering using a composite (plastic) ship-lap. Perhaps less weight and no mold/rot. Also we may be be "whitewashing" instead of staining to lighten up v-berth and aft-berths. Previous owner had used carpet adhesive to attached marine grade carpet - which did not sag but has been a big PITA to remove. So far all of the marine carpet &/or vinyl headliner is removed. I think your work looks quite good!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
tongue and groove cedar and stained it.
Where did you source the cedar? Looks like you installed battens to the hull with insulation between. What did you use to attach the battens to the hull? What did you use for the battens? Any issues with moisture or swelling/shrinkage?

Jan 5, 2017
Where did you source the cedar?
Hi John, I got the cedar from Sleggs in Sidney, I know Home Depot carries it as well ( at least in Canada) I used 1/2 X3/4 fir strips glued on with 5200. I put kerfs in my battens but still had to but braces them to hold things while the glue set. No issues to date.

Sep 4, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 440 Huntington
One of my to dos, the white vinyl/leather is peeling away and want to do this for the forward and aft cabins. My next winter project.
What material did you use for the strips? What was your spacing? Thanks vm.

Sep 4, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 440 Huntington
I should have seen that in your initial response. Apologies.

Any issues you encountered with the Fir Strips and the curvature of the hull? I am thinking I could actually get this done before Memorial Day!

Jan 5, 2017
I put kerfs about every inch on the battens and still had to brace them while the glue dried. Was thinking that next time I’d use small blocks glued in a row. Always a learning experience!

Mar 21, 2020
Beneteau 351 Oriental
Here is a post from Don Casey on what we are talking about.

Jul 7, 2009
Beneteau First 405 Myrtle Beach, S.C.
I had the same problem.
i found the best way to remove that nasty foam (turned to dust) backed vinyl was to use an old blade on a multitool and to skin off the vinyl from the fibreglass hull after trying sanding, quimicals, etc.
I chose to glue in a coupe of ribs to the bare hull, insulate the spaces with solid insulation and cover with a 1/4 birch plywood cover. Painted white and cut some 1/4 x 1 1/4 teak strips that were screwed in. That made the cabin warm, easy to clean and light.
did also in the main cabin behind the bookcases. Easy to open in case of repairs.
see it at
www.hunter37.com.
Choose front cabin or main cabin from menu.
Cheers