Replacing cleats.

Aug 26, 2019
Hunter 260 Eau Claire
The bow cleats on my soon to be purchased 99 Hunter 260 are the cheap plastic kind. This boat will be on a mooring and I have had those type of cleats fail on a previous boat. Is it difficult getting underneath the forward area to install metal ones with backing plates?

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I see no one has answered. While I don't know how hard it is to change those plastic cleats on your boat, if it was my boat I would definitely change them. If changing the ones you have is quite difficult, I would look to add a different system.

Good luck.

dj

Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
Panel at front of V-berth can be removed to give full access to bow cleat and the anchor locker drain hose.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
The 260 is a relatively light boat. Those cleats should be fine. Once you take possession of the boat you can be sure there will be plenty of higher priority expenses coming.
I had a comparable Mac26S with similar cleats for 10 years. Even towed another sailboat on the stern cleat. Just sayin'

Aug 26, 2019
Hunter 260 Eau Claire
The 260 is a relatively light boat. Those cleats should be fine. Once you take possession of the boat you can be sure there will be plenty of higher priority expenses coming.
I had a comparable Mac26S with similar cleats for 10 years. Even towed another sailboat on the stern cleat. Just sayin'
I hear you but...... I lost my Mac 26S due to the horns on the plastic cleats breaking off in a storm. The boat was on a mooring. The new Hunter is heavier than the Mac so I do not trust them.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
I had a boat with no access to the backing. For me, the answer was to cut a hole in the liner to work through. When I was done I fabricated a cover for the hole in the liner. Then I had access to inspect and repair if needed.
Ken