replacing cdi halyard

ljo

Sep 25, 2008
hunter 270 noyac
Our cdi furler is 17 years old and we are thinking it is time to replace the internal halyard before it fails, there is a lot of stress put on it pulling up the jib. Has anyone done this and is it possible to replace it without taking down the mast? Where did you purchase the new halyard?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
You can most likely get the halyard here on the SBO site.

And you can stitch the new halyard to the old one using dental floss and then use the old halyard to pull the new one to the top of the mast. Here is a picture of how Crazy Dave stitched my new centerboard lift line to the old one.
IMG_0145.JPG

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Not exactly the same, but when I replaced my main halyard, I ordered the new one with the eye splice and shackle I wanted. When I was ready to replace the old one, I cut the eye and shackle off the old one, butted the new halyard to the freshly cut off end and spiced them together using a paper clip and some sail tape. Then just pulled the old halyard Like I was raising the main and the new halyard went up, over the sheeve, back down inside the mast, exited and pulled right to the rope clutch. Easy-peasy.

Greg

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
In most cases when I've replaced a halyard I have a professionally done eye splice put in and a new shackle. It's nice and clean and I think worth the expense.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
That’s what I did. But then cut off th shackle from the old halyard and pulled the new one through that way.

Greg

ljo

Sep 25, 2008
hunter 270 noyac
This is not the same as replacing a regular halyard. The cdi furler has its own halyard that is held in the plastic luff by a piece of metal. Wondering if we try to pull the new one through with the old halyard will it work?

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Wondering if we try to pull the new one through with the old halyard will it work?
See post #3. And considering that the old halyard is binding, you may want to replace the top piece at the same time.
You can buy a new halyard and top from CDI.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Look up CDI International as it is in Canada as they sell parts. Just replaced one that broke same age. You will have to drop mast.
Leave everything in place except black top which you can unscrew and move it up and replace the internal halyard. Manual is under hunter 260 boat info

ljo

Sep 25, 2008
hunter 270 noyac
Thanks Dave, that is what I thought, just hoped there was an easier way. Getting the pin back in the fore stay is always a challenge for us.

Oct 17, 2009
Catalina 22mkII Newburgh, NY
I did just this thing this past spring. I didn’t drop the mast, but I removed the furler’s foil, replaced the halyard and top piece, and put the foil back up. All you need is a messenger line on the end of the head stay, and you can push the foil right up.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
... All you need is a messenger line on the end of the head stay, and you can push the foil right up.
And a spin halyard to help keep the mast up during the disassembly of the turnbuckle, yes? It is possible! Good idea!
It was so easy to drop the mast on the Mac that I'd do just that whenever I needed to.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
http://www.sailcdi.com/flexible-furlers

I’m not sure if this applies to your current setup but here is a link to various CDI headsail product manuals. I had a C&C 24 with a cdi headsail furler and was always a bit concerned about the halyard being dated so I replaced it one winter. As the “plastic” slot for the bead on the headsail was full length (bow to top of mast) and served as the head stay it always took a lot of patience to get the headsail mounted on the boat, lots of binding etc. Up and down until I got it right. So a lot of strain and wear on the halyard and the “track” it sort of runs in. Fortunately for my conditions it was usually once up in spring and down in fall, but I did it once “live” single handed when wind was howling and swore never again!!! There is a reason people invented “hank on” in those conditions, wait for a bit of a lull, clip a little more sail on and pull like crazy !
Personally I wouldn’t attempt this task with the mast up if you have the full length head stay extrusion. Lay it down so it’s easy to replace, take some extra time to inspect and clean/lubricate the groove for the headsail bead. Use high quality pre stretch to replace halyard and enjoy for many years, knowing that “when” crap happens you will be prepared.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I need to let everyone know. The life of a CDI internal halyard on the FF2 is appx. 15-18 years based on experience and the discussions with the original owner of CDI. I always recommended replacing. like any line, it has a shelf life of 15 years max but pushing it over that. Yes the mast needs to come down. The only thing to do is to unscrew the top black cap taking out the old halyard and inserting the new halyard. Then reattach the black cap. Before taking the mast down, tie a messenger line when taking the sail off and reattach to new halyard. The manual is in boat information in several places but notably on the Hunter 260

Jun 11, 2020
Hunter 29.5 Northport
So to replace, do you have to use the halyard with the ferrule from CDI or can you use regular line from West Marine?

Aug 12, 2018
Hunter 26 Carter Lake, Colorado
When I bought my H26 a couple years ago, I discovered that the CDI furler had a halyard with no ferrule. It didn’t seem to cause any operational problems, but I did only lower and raise the sail in the furler once or twice.

I was concerned about whether there could be any wear issues, so I’ve since replaced it with a genuine CDI halyard, for peace of mind.

But clearly it can work without the ferrule, although you still need to decore it for the required length.