Replacing cable halyards with rope size?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 9, 2005
- - Stratford, CT
I have replaced my cable halyards with rope and had a shackle spliced on. The splice was too long and my mail sail would not go all the way up because the splice hit the pulley. I cut the splice off and tied a bowline to the shackle instead. I still have the same problem as the line won't go all the way up. What size rope should I have used for this halyard? I believe I had bought a 7/16 line. Thanks in advance Bob

Dec 6, 2006
Lancer 29 Kemah Texas
Line size..

I'm guessing the 7/16 is way overkill on that size boat.Defenders recomends 5/16 or 3/8 inch for the application.But,the size of the line should only effect the last inch or so going all the way to the top..you should be able to lower your boom a bit to compensate for this inch +/- at the top.Just my two cents worth. Good Luck>>> David

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
One thing to consider is the size of the sheave

(or pulley wheel) that is mounted inside the mast at the top. Sheaves for wire line would be smaller in width than a comparable sheave for lne. If the top sheave has not been replaced with one for use with your 7/16" line you can probably expect some chafing on your new halyard, especially at the top. I like David's (LancerDude) idea of lowering the boom a bit to compensate. Just mind your head! What size/kind of boat is it anyway?

Jul 9, 2005
- - Stratford, CT
Lower the boom

The boom is as far down on the track as it will go. I am about 2-3" short I believe. I'd have to move the track down......

Dec 6, 2006
Lancer 29 Kemah Texas
Could Be The Foreskin..

..are you sure that the Outter Cover on the line (I assume your useing some type of Double Braid) is'nt pileing up at the Mast Sheave and jamming the line??Or,is the Sheave possibly dammaged or aged and not serviceable?? Checking this will mean going up the mast..and,if you gotta do that you may as well get a new Sheave thats sized for the Line size your trying to use and replce if it's needed.I know you said your old lines had wire on them..were they rope and wire or just wire??IF they were rope and wire the Sheave up there should run the line now..inless damaged. Good Luck>>> David

Status
Not open for further replies.