replacing cabin windows h40.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 40.5 New Bern NC
Hey guys,

Getting ready to replace both the large cabin trunk fixed windows on my 40.5, have new windows, dow 795 and all necessary tools, one question, does any one know if the drilled holes in the existing windows are there for screws or just "bleed holes"?? guess I'll find out when I start to remove the old windows.

Capt Ron

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
A couple of things:
The windows cover two openings with a bright white gelcoat section in between. If you do not cover the entire white section with 795 the white will show through. I don't think you need all that dow to hold it just make it look nice so a thin coat is sufficient. Alternately paint it black.
The holes can be used to hold the window in place but the lexan shrinks and expands mightily as the temp changes so elongate them in the direction toward the center.
Have you decided on how you will be holding the window in place till the dow hardens? The screws work great for that.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 40.5 New Bern NC
Bill,
I had a 37.5 prior to my 40.5 and had a local glass company replace them on that boat while i watched, it was no big deal, but as you stated they did not completely cote the white fiberglass center support and a little white did show thru, I have rubber stops to support the bottom to keep them from slipping, but they did not brace the windows, but I think i need to as these windows are a lot longer that the ones on the 37.5, thought about cutting plywood bracing and securing to the lifeline stauchions and then PVC tubing attached to the plywood, but not sure how to apply to the windows so they don't slip or scratch. any suggestions??

Ron

A couple of things:
The windows cover two openings with a bright white gelcoat section in between. If you do not cover the entire white section with 795 the white will show through. I don't think you need all that dow to hold it just make it look nice so a thin coat is sufficient. Alternately paint it black.
The holes can be used to hold the window in place but the lexan shrinks and expands mightily as the temp changes so elongate them in the direction toward the center.
Have you decided on how you will be holding the window in place till the dow hardens? The screws work great for that.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Hey Bill ........................

..................... sounds like you've been there and done that.

I've been toying with the idea of doing all my fixed windows for the last few years but the ONE problem I have is how to cut under, and remove the old windows. In the forward window as you've mentioned, the centre cabin section is about four inches wide and I can imagine removing the 795 under that section will be a real SOB.

I have thought about using fine piano wire, and using two people, cut away at the old 795 but how to get that wire under the window in the first place without doing major damage to the cabin structure eludes me.

So how :confused:. Any pictures :confused:.

Thanks in advance.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Hey Ralph
having a dedicated and pretty first mate is a MUST. As I recall the side windows came out pretty easy as they are long. I started at the forward end on the inside and with a scraper (not a puddy knife, way to flimsy) I ran it into the sealant and pried a LITTLE. the move along and break some more of it, kinda like taking a tire off its rim. Repeat till the whole front "corner" is loose. then just work your way back. When you get to the center section use a long sharp knife and let the first mate keep the tension by pulling on the window from the outside. use small blocks of wood to wedge the window out if she needs a break as the dow tends to restick itself. Once past the center section your golden just pry it out and cut the dow with a utility knife.
Now the fun begins, the window is not curved so it will have to be braced in somehow while the dow sets. I chose to use the screw holes around the edge. I'd caution you to take them out once the dow is set as mine broke the window the first time it got cold. (I did the job on one of the hottest days of that year). You are going to absolutly love taking the dow off the gelcoat and window, wonderful stuff (till it needs to be gone) I used acetone and a scraper.
As for the main skylight; I cut out the dow from the inside as best I could the went tot he outside and started cutting there. The skylight is heavy and it just kept resticking itself and I really had a time with it. One of the other brave souls that tried this used those suction cups and the main halyard to lift it. He is brighter than me too!!

Course I'd note that if it does not leak don't fix it. I mean really, why would you want to subject yourself to that kind of abuse when you don't have to?

Jul 8, 2011
Catalina 30 Sidney B.C.
Just replaced three windows on my Catalina with Lexan and when I used the the Dow Corning sealat we just pressed the windows in place and held for about a minute and then used some duct tape hung from the top to hols wind ow from sliding down ..total time including removel about 1/2 each window

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Thanks Bill. From what you describe, it may not be all that formidable a task.

I notice there are a number of small holes near the edge of the windows which are now filled with (I presume) 795. Hunter probably used screws to hold the windows in place until the 795 had set and then removed them to avoid expansion/contraction problems. The holes hardly show unless you're looking for them.

Only one question .......................... where do I find the pretty young first mate ?

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
You really do not want to use Lexan to replace these windows. It will yellow over time. The proper product is "american made" acrylic. Do some research for yourself before you spend a load of money on the material.

I think that good quality acrylic will run about $20/sq ft. The screw holes are for holding the material in place while the 795 cures.

Aug 6, 2009
Hunter 40.5 Mazatlan, Sinaloa, Mexico
Will be watching to see how this goes for you. Would like to replace mine also. How did you cut out your old ones?

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I've been following this thread-

Exactly why are these windows being replaced? Leaks? Crazing? Scratched? My 1997 fixed ports are in pretty good shape- nowhere near needing replacement.

My opening ports on the other hand are crazed and could really use replacement to bring them back to like-new condition.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 40.5 New Bern NC
Hey Rich,

Mine are just the reverse of yours, heavy crazing on the fixed windows, but the opening ports are all in pretty good shape.
Had a 37.5 prior to my 40.5 and bought the replacement windows from hunter for both boats, hired a guy from a local w indow company and watched him replace the windows in my 37.5 this was several years ago, but no big deal most work was the prep and clean up, they did not set the windows with screws and I never had any leaks or issues afterward, sold that boat about 3 years ago.
Because these windows are larger I will carefully drill set holes where they are currently located in the old windows and then remove after the caulk has set.
Just waiting for a weather window.

Capt. Ron

I've been following this thread-

Exactly why are these windows being replaced? Leaks? Crazing? Scratched? My 1997 fixed ports are in pretty good shape- nowhere near needing replacement.

My opening ports on the other hand are crazed and could really use replacement to bring them back to like-new condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.