Replacing Bulkhead if that is what it's called

Mar 28, 2015
Macgregor 25 Cherry Creek
At least I think that is what this is called. The photo on this thread with the board removed. Its former location, if you are in the galley by the head looking aft would be on the starboard side in line with where the keel handle is (I hope I got all that right, its looking towards the back with the wood on the right.) The door that is there I'm guessing is there so you can access the back of the depth gauge (working but very hard to see/read) and the back of the knot meter (not working at all and I don't really think I need it). There are holes where I removed a very old radio and speaker and in the lower left corner is where the two switches went for the depth gauge and the knot meter. The second photo shows is on the boat showing the mess of wires that was behind that wall. (I know, lots of electrical work to do as well).

My thought is to put up a single piece of wood (plywood but very well covered with either spar varnish or what ever you experts recommend). I want to attach it from the back so that IF I do need to get to the wiring on the other side I can simply remove it. Then I want to put a matching piece up on the other side where currently there is none.

Thoughts? Does my plan make sense or is there a much better way to do this?

Oh, and one last quick question. What the heck are those lines inside the lid of the hatch in the cockpit? My thought is that they are there to hold various lines like docking and fender lines.

Attachments