Replacing blackwater tank

Jun 22, 2017
Hunter 376 Pittwater, Sydney, Australia
Hello. I have looked around but cannot seem to find if anybody has a post on replacing the waste tank on their 376. I plan to do all the piping as it is 20yrs old and, well, a bit "pongy". I thought while I was at it I would replace the tank also. If anybody can give any advice on this it would be greatly appreciated! It looks like I have to pull the cabinetry in the aft cabin mostly apart to get to the area where the waste and fuel tanks are. I don't mind if it is a big job but don't want to do a half job.

Thanks for any help, thoughts, guidance and/or photos!

Jun 22, 2017
Thanks Terry. I am in Australia but will investigate with Ronco...then go from there...

Thanks again

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
It's the shipping cost that makes it a "killer" to import anything from the US. But if you known anyone who's planning a trip to the US, they could bring a tank back as checked baggage. International flights allow at least one more piece than domestic and it would be well within the weight limit. Worst case, you might have to pay a little customs duty. I learned that trick from one of my Aussie customers who did that. Ronco shipped the tank to their US hotel or place of business.

--Peggie

Jun 22, 2017
Hi all, many thanks. The tank is plastic. I go to the US a bit, including to DC next month, so might just do that. That way it will be the correct fit etc. I figure the tank might be ok but while I am in the bowels of the boat (excuse the pun) I thought I would just do everything! My challenge I think is physically getting it out; on the 376 it looks like I need to pull it all apart!

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
You'll have to get to the tank to replace the hoses anyway... And getting it out is only half the battle...you'd have to be able to put the new one in--or just to thoroughly clean out the one you have if it's still sound.

Distance from the toilet(s) matters too. These things never occur to boat builders and Hunter is no exception. So we might want to look for a new location for the tank that's a lot more accessible. You might try just looking for other 376 owners instead of limiting your search to those who've posted about replacing hoses and tanks....and not just here, but on email lists and other sailboat sites. This is the best one, but surely there are other 376 owners somewhere who can give you some ideas.
--Peggie

Jun 22, 2017
Thanks Peggie. By the way, I feel honored to have you advising me here! I will definitely do more homework and start investigating properly (start thinking about how to get old one out and new one in - or new location). This is a project for our Sthn hemisphere winter as I don't want to waste summer sailing time on this job. It will be done for next summer though! Many thanks indeed. Ross

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I'm glad to help, Ross...here or one-on-one if/when more discussion than is practical in a forum is needed. I have Whatsapp, so we can even talk instead of type. You'll also find a lot of useful info in my book (see link my signature). The title (my publisher's idea) is a little bit misleading... 'cuz although it does deal with every source of odor on a boat and how to cure, or better yet PREVENT 'em, it's actually a comprehensive "marine toilets and sanitation systems 101" manual that explains the laws, describes all the types of systems and how they work, and will help you learn how to operate and maintain your system to prevent 99% of problems instead of having to cure 'em. 'Cuz you get to do any preventive maintenance on your terms when it's convenient...the need to cure a problem never happens when it is! If international postage and customs makes ordering it from sbo.com impractical, Amazon AU has both the print and kindle (e-book) versions.
--Peggie

Jun 22, 2017
Hi Justin and Peggie. OK, step one, just managed to get a copy of the book so will read with interest when it arrives. I will certainly document it (and my thinking) as I go through. Our 376 is an awesome weekend/holiday platform and that aft cabin is massive but the general lingering smell (esp if raining and hatches closed etc) take away from it. It makes sense right? She is 1997 so 22 years of stuff in pipes adds up. I hope to replace the whole lot and while I am at it completely clean out all of those normally inaccessible areas!!

Thanks for your collective help. Ross

Jun 22, 2017
An update in case anybody is interested! The book arrived; great read...thanks Peggie. I started by methodically testing the tank itself and now confident it is not leaking; I think we have a minor leak in a hose. So I am cleaning the tank. For better or worse I installed a good quality inspection port in the top of the tank. This has allowed me to get the remnants of the fuel sender and other things. I have rinsed and cleaned it and it is now almost as good as my water tank! (OK, slight exaggeration!). I have to go to Washington for a couple of weeks tomorrow so went down today and gave it one last dose of bleach. When I come home I will dive into replacing the pipes. I think this will make a massive difference. Being able to get into the top of the tank has made a huge difference in terms of being able to properly give it the much deserved 1 in 20 year clean it needs! No so disgusting....fine actually....so far....that might change when I do the pipes!!

Jun 22, 2017
OK. I have tested the tank. No leaks so no need to replace so that is good. I ran multiple cycles of water through it to clean it and then the hole in the top has allowed me to air it and clean it by hand (with gloves!); really not that bad. Grabbed lots of the raritan hosing. Not cheap but hopefully pretty good! I did the tank to pump section today and will do the toilet to tank section over the weekend. Serious contortion-ism required but really not too bad. Replacing the toilet to tank section should not be too bad. It strikes me as being one of those jobs that seems a whole lot worse before you actually get into it; once into it, it really is not that bad.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
It strikes me as being one of those jobs that seems a whole lot worse before you actually get into it; once into it, it really is not that bad.
It can be, but thoroughly rinsing out the whole system before you start and the flexibility of the Raritan SaniFlex hose RaritanSaniFlex hose make it a whole bunch easier. It's also proven to be exceptionally odor permeation resistant...not a single reported odor permeation failure in the 10 years since Raritan introduced it, and I haven't heard of a single one either (and I'm pretty sure I would have).
Glad you found my book useful! And I'm always glad to answer it any questions it doesn't.
--Peggie

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Ross,
My 2 cents worth....assuming that you have an over the side macerator....You may want to install either a PVC sewerage rated ball or gate valve to isolate the tank. Insure that the valve has union type fittings. Should the macerator fail you can replace it even with a full tank.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
A y-valve instead of just a tee in the tank discharge line is a much simpler solution. Keep it open to the deck pumpout except to dump the tank.

--Peggie

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Herrington South, MD
i just pulled my holding tank and had my marina pump it out first. They added fresh water and then repumped. When I pulled the tank it was relatively clean and dry. I still used a mask and gloves.

Jun 22, 2017
Some good thoughts....I was trying to work out how and where to put a Y-valve. Will ponder this one further. Going down to the boat now to run the toilet to tank section of the saniflex. Using a male-male connector to pull the new hose and can get to much of the run so should not be too bad. Peggy; really happy to hear the reports on the house. Autumn school holidays down here coming up so will be able to give the system a good "test" with the family onboard for a few days. Fingers crossed!

Apr 1, 2019
Hunter 376 Niantic
Just seeing this post so it may be a bit late in the game. I had to inspect my tank in my 376 (someone cut open a gallon of oil in the lazerette above..... You need to remove the cabinets at both the stern and the port side of the boat. Took me about 30 minutes to do this, so not a bad job and it went back together with just a bit more work. It is a tight fit to pull that tank and if I remember to change the lines you may need to pull the tank just to gain access to the fittings. I was cleaning oil not replacing lines so did not get into it that deep.