replacing Atomic Four engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Barry Bavister

Does anyone know what is a suitable diesel engine model and size to fit into a Ranger 29, to replace a worn out Atomic Four gas engine? Also suitable transmission.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Take a look at

Westerbeke engines.

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
Engine replacement

Barry, I think Kubota, makes a direct replacement for the Atomic 4. Comes complete with tranny, and I believe motor mounts and all. Supposed to be a hell of a good engine. Google it up. Pretty sure I am correct on this.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Why not a 'precision' rebuilt A4

One that is fully rebuilt and includes all the modernizations such as electronic ignition, electric fuel pump, fresh water cooled. Will weigh much less than a diesel, will be a LOT smoother, will require NO bed changes, NO prop changes, NO fuel tank changes, NO control panel changes, etc. etc. etc. etc. .... and the *total cost* will be reasonable. The best A4 rebuilder probably on the planet is: www.moyermarine.com

E

Eric

Diesels vs Gasoline

I'm currently looking at repowering my R33 as well. After a cruise up the inside passage, it's become painfully evident that A4's are not made for long passages under power. It suffered a major mechanical failure off the northern coast of Vancouver Island, making for an interesting trip home. This despite the regular maintenance of constant oil changes and with a freshwater cooled engine. I'm looking at Beta's "marinized" Kubota engines, models BD722 and BD1005. They are made to fit A4 engine beds, which will take care of a huge part of a repowering project. Here's a URL: http://www.betamarinenc.com/enginemodels.htm Yanmar seems pretty popular, but I'd have to do a fair bit of fiberglass work to reshape the bed. The way boat projects explode into much more than I usually envision, I'm sticking with the easier road. Besides, Kubota engine parts and engines are available worldwide. Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.