Replacing an upper shrowd on an Oday 192

May 20, 2019
- - Vermont
Got out to my boat last night to find one of the upper shrouds had basically split. I am trying to replace it as soon as I can so I can sail next week. I really don't want to take the boat out of the water. I've read a lot of people saying you can climb up the mast, but is the mast on my 19 foot O'day stable enough for that? Standing on the spreaders seems sketchy to me, but I am I wrong in thinking this? I'm pretty capable athletically speaking. I know I need to start by finding a shop in Vermont that I can buy a new shroud from and have them cut it to the right length. Anyone have advice?
58863788939__5E2A735F-FCFB-4BAB-9FAE-F72214AD9A92-1.jpeg

Mar 13, 2011
Islander Freeport 41 Longmont
Since the shrouds hold the mast up, I would recommend against climbing the mast. You don't want it coming down while you are up top.

On your boat, I'm guessing you could lower the mast in the slip, the shroud can then be removed, replaced and reconnected to the spreaders at your leisure without danger of damage to you, your boat or any nearby boats.

Just my recommendation, Climbing masts is less about athletic ability and more about being safe.

Apr 20, 2016
Catalina 22 293 Huntington Lake, CA
If you are going to climb the mast, be sure to mount a few cameras so your kids will believe the story of how you capsized your boat and removed your spleen at the same time! But, if you lack video equipment, do the boring thing and drop it. Not as much as an adventure, to be sure, but... Post a post repair pic!

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
You are very close to losing the mast as it is..... a strong gust of wind is enough to snap what's left of the wire. So.... right now... not later, not tomorrow... but right this minute.. high tail it down to your boat and clip the main halyard to a stanchion base to back up the broken shroud..... Don't wait till after dinner.... go now!

I honestly could care less how you fix it.... dropping the mast makes the most sense.... but I can't emphasize enough, that you must get the mast secured ASAP! It could fail at any time which would violate your marina lease agreement, do damage to your boat or the one next to you, and quite possibly injure a real person. That would suck beyond all comprehension to have your crappy wire actually hurt someone because you can't decide how you want to fix it. Can you imagine living with that????? Can you imagine the lawsuit?????

Jul 23, 2019
Hunter 18.5 Revelstoke
That’s amazing, with the center core completely broken off that it’s still holding.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I hope you have already replaced your shrouds. If your in Vermont, is that lake Champlain? There is a lot of sailing on lake Champlain, so finding a good marine supply shouldn't be that hard. Either Burlington or North by the Heroes, don't forget the NY side when looking.
I have an O'Day Mariner 19 and it's only a few minutes to take the mast down and put back up. That would be my first choice. I would never consider climbing the mast of a 19' boat. Nothing under 26', in fact, depending on how easy the mast comes down on a taller rig.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
There’s no reason to panic. Use a halyard to secure the mast while you figure out your options.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
If you can't find a local place that can properly roll swage new shrouds there are many places online. You can even coil up and ship the old shrouds to them for an exact length and fitting match.

GSBNY

May 9, 2019
O’Day 192 New York
D&R Marine has the shroud you need and they ship fast. I just had a lower on my 192 do the same thing and they were able to get me a new one ASAP.

E83A817E-07F2-4ECE-93D3-F85DDF010215.jpeg

As for replacing the wire, do you have the Z Spar or Dwyer setup? Since the Z Spar uses hook terminals I was able to unhook the lower shroud with a boathook and a rope loop and put the new one in with some butyl tape on a boathook.

Dropping the mast is a pain but it’s quick. It’ll be better to drop the mast yourself than letting gravity and Mother Nature drop it for you when that shroud let’s go.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I'm a bit puzzled that folks who found one shroud in that condition would not immediately decide that all of the standing rigging should be replaced. Is it just me?