Replacing a galley bulkhead fridge

Jul 16, 2018
Hunter 40 Boston
Hiya,

My '85 40 has two fridges: One is the galley bulkhead fridge above the stove, and the other is the ice chest fridge below the counter top.

My bulkhead fridge has petered out and probably lost all coolant. It's also rusty and the gaskets are deteriorated.

My ice chest fridge blowed up an stuff, and now no longer functions except as an excellent breaker tripping device.

While I can currently use the top deck as a freezer thanks to weather, I would like to regain the ability to keep food cool without stepping outside. I figure the bulkhead fridge is the easiest to replace, and I know some others have done the same with a standard cube fridge.

Does anyone know if there's a basic universal size that fits all the hunters? (or all the hunters from the 80s?) And, even better, does anyone know what model cube fridge to get to replace it?

I'm finding it's hard to shop for cube fridges based on exterior dimensions

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
If they are broke and dead why not remove and see what you have for space to deal with. Based on you other post I think you pretty much need to gut and design around new stuff

Jul 16, 2018
Hunter 40 Boston
That's... a good idea. I'm a bit annoyed I didn't think of that.

Tho' I'm not yet sure what's involved in removing the ice-chest fridge as I'm fairly certain it's water cooled, so it may be a project for the next haul.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Well if they are water cooled there should be a valve to close, that would be the first step to do. Then just leave enough hose connected that the end is above the water line.

Jul 16, 2018
Hunter 40 Boston
That's what I would expect, but at the moment the cooling hoses (I think that's what they are) disappear under woodwork I may have to rip out to follow. I will need to check more closely to see if I can follow them somewhere accessible.

Jul 16, 2018
Hunter 40 Boston
The weather is warming up and the outdoors is no longer a reliable freezer. Time for me to deal with this. Before I start surgery, does anyone know if the bulkhead fridge is meant to be removable without cutting wood? I'm not seeing an obvious way to do so, but I wanted to check before I break out the power saw.