Replacing a Damaged Push Button Breaker

Sep 22, 2021
Hunter 41AC 0 Portland, OR
I was finishing up the installation of a Blue Sea automatic charge relay today and as I went to put the battery control panel back in place I noticed that a screw was loose on the terminal of one of the push button circuit breakers - the one for the echo charge. In order to access the screws (whose axis is parallel to the front face of the panel) I removed the retaining nut on the outside and as I was moving it about to get access to the screw heads the terminal with the loose screw broke off (see photo).

I have been able to locate these ETA Series 1658 breakers in a number of places but all of them that I see do not have tapped holes in the terminals like mine does. Rather, they are intended to use 1/4" quick disconnect terminals.

Has anyone else replaced one of these breakers? If so, did you just change to quick disconnect terminals or did you tap the terminals for screws?

Series 1658 Breaker.jpg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
This isn't an answer to your question. Doesn't an echo charge do the same thing as an ACR? If so, then you don't need to replace the breaker.

Sep 22, 2021
Hunter 41AC 0 Portland, OR
Doesn't an echo charge do the same thing as an ACR?
That is a good point. The echo charge allows the inverter/charger to charge the start battery.

However, I did leave in place the solenoid switch (for connecting the start and house banks when the ignition is on) but with the activation signal disconnected - as a fallback option.