Replacements for fixed ports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 25, 2006
Hunter 34 Bayou Chico - Pensacola
We're doing a total overhaul of the exterior of our 1984 H-34 and have already purchased powdercoated aluminum portlights that have a polished aluminum appearance. Now those old plastic fixed ports look horrible. I've come up with a design for an aluminum replacement that would be a bolt-in replacement for the originals and, when powdercoated in a polished aluminum color, will match everything else and allow me to replace the 23 year old plexiglass as well. Here's my question? Are there other owners out there that are interested in dumping their plastic and getting new windows? I'm thinking that once I'm set up to make these I could probably make a set of all 4 fixtures and sell them for $1000 per set including powdercoated frames, acrylic windows, and stainless mounting hardware. If there is an interest I may obtain enough material for 2-3 sets and take plenty of pictures of the first set for your review.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Why?

Mickey: Why would anyone want to purchase your potential replacement for something that is a proven replacement for 40% of your cost?

Jun 25, 2006
One of us is confused

I didn't see anything on the Web site you provided that was a replacement for the "FIXED PORTS" on the Hunter 34. On each side of the cabin there is a rectangular fixed port about 6X24 and a forward fixed port that has a sloped front edge also about 6x24. I'm not aware of anyone that makes a replacement for these. Did I miss something on the Web site you provided?

D

Daryl

No!

The early 1983 boats had aluminum frames that will last forever. The next run had junk plastic frames but the later vessels has NO frames, just plastic windows. If I had the junk plastic frames I would throw them away and but plastic windows in just like the factory did in 1987. They knew how to save money, cut production costs and remind customers what mad HUNTER successful and famous

Jun 12, 2007
Hunter 35.5 Marina del Rey, Ca.
Plastic window replacements

Mickey, you might want to call Mark. He makes cast acrylic windows thermo-welded in plastic frames to replace most of the older model boats out there. He has made many sets for my customers, and they were all good quality: Mark Plastics- GO Windows (951) 735-7705 Or try area code (909)

Jun 25, 2006
Looks good on the inside

I'm not crazy about the way the "screwed on plastic" looks from the outside but the wood frame on the inside looks pretty good. I'll have to ponder all this over a couple of cold ones with my partners next time we're on the boat. Our punch list is so long right now that we'll probably decide to tolerate the plastic frames until the next repair cycle. I wish MY boat was in the back yard rather than a 3-hr drive away. Fred, just in case you haven't heard it recently, thanks a TON for keeping your Web site up with all the pictures and advice from your rebuild. It's the best single source of info and inspiration available. As a musclecar nut, the Camaro updates are pretty good too.

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
Thanks Mickey!

And after paying off xmas the next 'goodie' is Retrotek fuel injection for my Camaro. I'm pumped!

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
Thanks Mickey!

And after paying off xmas the next 'goodie' is Retrotek fuel injection for my Camaro. I'm pumped!

Status
Not open for further replies.