Replacement Zinc for Yanmar Saildrive

Dec 29, 2017
Beneteau Oceanis 411 Baltimore
I could not find the replacement zinc information for the engine on my boat - SailDrive Yanmar 4JH45 (2017) in any of the owners manuals. Does anyone have the part number available? Thanks.

Dec 29, 2017
Thanks Barry - my first boat with SailDrive and didn’t realize it wasn’t an integrated setup.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Thanks Barry - my first boat with SailDrive and didn’t realize it wasn’t an integrated setup.
Yanmar engines can also be fitted to Hurth/ZF sail drives. In which case it would probably be a ZF SD 10 or SD 12. Regardless Boat Zincs can help you out.
Out of curiosity what boat is the Yanmar 4JH45 fitted to? You are still showing a Catalina 305 in your info.

Dec 29, 2017
Yanmar engines can also be fitted to Hurth/ZF sail drives. In which case it would probably be a ZF SD 10 or SD 12. Regardless Boat Zincs can help you out.
Out of curiosity what boat is the Yanmar 4JH45 fitted to? You are still showing a Catalina 305 in your info.
one more thing that I need to update - we moved up to a Beneteau Oceanis 411over the winter months. The zinc was something the surveyor noted as needing replacement in the coming year / season. And I’ll make sure to reach out to Boat Zincs.

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
You're welcome.

As mentioned above, you need to be sure of your particular saildrive to be sure you get the right anode.
Also note that you probably need TWO anodes: one for the prop and one for the saildrive itself. Some of the saildrive anodes require you to remove the prop, others use a 'split' anode you can install it with the prop still attached to the hub.

Some people complain about saildrive but I really like them. I'm on my second boat with a saildrive and I would never want to go back to a shaft.

Barry

Dec 29, 2017
Barry - I think that mine has the second one that you mentioned if I remember the discussion with the surveyor. What he did not mention was a pencil zinc in the heat exchanger of the engine. And does the SailDrive minimize prop wash? It took me months to perfect the muscle memory / docking setup when I moved from an outboard to my previous boat.

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hi,

What I like about the SailDrive (with folding prop) is very low drag when sailing, good performance when motoring in forward and decent performance when stopping / backing.

My boat(s) with saildrive had no prop walk - meaning the boat would go straight forward and also straight back. My last boat with a shaft / strut, would pull to port when I shifted to reverse. The saildrive just goes straight. At first I missed the prop walk because when I pull up to a dock I would approach w the dock on port, aim at a 30 degree angle, then shift to reverse and the stern would pull to port and right up to the dock.

After some practice with the sail drive I have modified my technique and I much prefer the saildrive. So much easier to back out of slip without worrying about the stern going to port. My current boat has a bow thruster, so I almost feel like I'm cheating when I leave the dock.

Barry