Replacement winch line

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I use a 2500lbs ATV winch to step and unstep my mast at the beginning and end of the season. It's easy work for the winch and I was able to do the job with a little 7A battery a couple of weeks ago. The 50' steel winch line is kinked in a few places and is contributing to jams. I'd like to replace it with a synthetic line. Most of the reasonably priced products labeled as synthetic winch lines are far too thick. Original steel is 5/32". I really need 50-75' of line on the spool to get the job done. I was eyeballing Dyneema or Amsteel blue as a replacement. Are there any disadvantages to using this type of line?

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Well, around here the company that builds out "bucket trucks" for power line repair and pole installation replaced their steel cables - their several big winches - with Amsteel about 15 years ago.
Just compare the working load strength for what you have now with what you want to replace it with.
Betcha the same diameter in the hi-tec line would do the job.....

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Wow! It's impressive how long it's lasted under such heavy usage!
I have no way to know what the utility company (or their contractor) does for replacement scheduling, but I doubt that they would spend more, over time, on one type of line/cable than the other. They had safety concerns as well -- when the synthetic line breaks it mostly collapses rather than recoiling violently like the steel cable.
We changed our halyards to low stretch / hi tech line almost 20 years ago. The old ss cable with meat hooks was dangerous, out of date, and no longer needed to do the job.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I think I'm going to order 75' of 1/8" line which is rated for 2500lbs. The smaller diameter should allow me to get more line on the spool. If anyone is looking for amsteel/dyneema this site has an excellent price and reasonable shipping
1/8 Amsteel Blue (25 Feet)