Replacement weather strippping for pop-tops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 29, 2010
Hunter 25.5 Point Venture, TX
Has anyone found a suitable replacement for the D-section weather stripping used to seal the Hunter 25.5 cabin pop-top. The original rubber D-section appears to be approximately 1/2" across the base ... and perhaps somewhere between 7/16" and 1/2" high. The original appears to have been fabricated from a rather generic rubber. I'd like to find something of similar size, but made of a newer material (silicone perhaps?). I'm not a materials guy so I'm open to suggestions/comments.

But all of this is a bit academic. To date I have not been able to find any sort of weather stripping of similar dimensions ... regardless of material.

In reality this weather stripping is not a huge issue for me, because this weather stripping does not come into play unless there is a driving rain and/or waves are breaking over the cabin top. But, having said that, I would still like to get the cabin sealed up better when the cabin top is "retracted."

Also ... it looks like the Hunter 25.5 only needs around 18' of this weather stripping. Thus, buying a 100' roll is not a live option.

Regards,

E.

Attachments

Dec 29, 2010
Ended up ordering from McMaster-Carr (http://www.mcmaster.com) 20' of an EPDM rubber bulb seal that appears to be identical to the original D-section weather stripping. This is McMaster-Carr P/N 1142A72. Total cost (including shipping) was $27.32.

Dec 24, 2011
Hunter 25.5 Monroe Harbor
Quick question, I see this weather stripping is not adhesive backed. What adhesive did you use?

Thanks,

Joe

Dec 29, 2010
MrUnix/Brad,

No, the D profile EPDM rubber weather seal (FrostKing PN V25W) from HomeDepot does NOT work for this application ... or at least the stuff I found at HomeDepot did not work on my Hunter 25.5. I have tried it.

The FrostKing weather seal is a nominal 1/4" high, w/ 5/16" base ... thus it is too small to fill the gap properly.
However this weather stripping is very serviceable for re-placing the gaskets on the original plastic portlights and the forward hatch. As I remember it one package (two 8.5 foot rolls) was enough to do all the portlights and the hatch.

Dec 29, 2010
JCKMBOAT/Joe,

You are correct, McMaster-Carr P/N 1142A72 is not adhesive backed. I used 1/2' wide permanent, double-sided tape from Elmer's. 3M has a similar product. In my opinion there are too keys to ensure proper adhesion:

1. Clean the gelcoat surface before applying the tape.
2. Clean the EPDM rubber bulb seal before putting it in place.

Regards,

E.

Status
Not open for further replies.