Replacement sealing ring for Hurth HBW 50 transmission dipstick or alternative fix?

Apr 6, 2013
Catalina 310 Annapolis
Hello. I was checking the transmission fluid level on my 2002 Catalina 310's Hurth HBW 50 transmission yesterday and noticed the sealing ring for the dipstick is missing and nowhere to be found. I understand this is critical to prevent transmission oil from coming out. The dipstick is listed in the parts catalog for this model transmission as a "dipstick/breather tube assembly". The only replacement I can find online is available from a European company for over $100. That is way more than I want to spend as the dipstick/breather tube I have is just fine, it just is missing the sealing ring. I wonder if I could order some rubber gasket material and cut a gasket just a bit wider radius than the dipstick hole itself. Then, when I thread the dipstick back in, the gasket should tighten down enough to seal the hole. Does this idea hold water? It seems ridiculous to spend $100 just to get a new dipstick because it would come with the sealing washer. Thanks for any advice!

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
The only replacement I can find online is available from a European company for over $100.
Meh ............... chicken feed for a boat part. Gourmet chicken feed, mind you.

Try Amazon.com "O" rings and state the dimensions of the "O" ring you're after : ID, OD, material diameter. You "might" come up with what you want.

Try Amazon for a mixed bag of "O" rings that fit into your size requirements. Every so often one gets lucky.

As a last resort, yes, cutting out a gasket from rubber material would work if you can cut it neatly enough. That stuff is bloody tough to cut (as it is designed to) so it may a bit of a project.

Good luck with this one and be sure to keep the kiddies well away from this job lest they learn all sorts of new words which will really impress mom :yikes: .

Apr 6, 2013
Catalina 310 Annapolis
Thanks. I ordered an assortment of o rings per your suggestion as well as some gasket material. I am sure one or the other will work

Apr 10, 2010
Catalina 310 166 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Rather than cut the gasket out, I find using a punch set easier and more accurate. I borrow a punch set from a canvas/leather worker who I occasionally take for a boat ride. Seems like a fair trade.