Replacement Parts and Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 17, 2009
2 Puffer Detroit
Hey everyone,

I recently started restoring my dad's 1977 Puffer. He is the third owner and used the boat a lot when he was younger (80s and early 90s). Unfortunately his family and career took over and the boat went untouched for some time. I figured it would be a good summer project before I head back to school in the fall. The boat is in good condition, just weatherd by years of sitting. I have already restored the seat from the boat. The rudder is in good condition and doesn't need anything. I just had a few questions about some things that I have run into currently and was looking for some advice...

1. Does anyone know where I can find replacement foot straps for the boat?
2. What is the best way to protect the keel. Oil it or varnish it? If so, what product?
3. How should I go about fixing the cracks at the bottom of the keel slot? Should I fill them or fiberglass or redo the gel coat?
4. Any product that will bring the paint back out on the boat so it is not so dull?

Thanks for your time and help in advance

Mike

I

Ian-2

Puffer Maintenance

1. Does anyone know where I can find replacement foot straps for the boat?
Try Googling AMF parts. There use to be a used parts dealer. Don't know if this link is still good.
http://www.geocities.com/amfboats

Also, you can pick up some webbing strap and make your own.

2. What is the best way to protect the keel. Oil it or varnish it? If so, what product?
Marine varnish or transparent epoxy. This isn't the place for an oil finish. Take your refnish tips from the wood canoe/kayak web pages.

3. How should I go about fixing the cracks at the bottom of the keel slot? Should I fill them or fiberglass or redo the gel coat?
Gelcoat IS fiberglass resin, only with lots of colorant and no reinforcement fiber. It's a cosmetic top layer. Repair with fiberglass or epoxy - best to get a book on fiberglass repair and follow the prep instructions for a sound job.

4. Any product that will bring the paint back out on the boat so it is not so dull?
Is it the original Gelcoat or did someone paint over it? Gelcoat is 4x thicker than paint so a good buffing out with rubbing compound can remove the oxidized surface down to good resin. Then you polish with polishing compound and finish with a quality marine glaze. Check out the Meguire, Starbrite, or 3M lines of boat products. Paint won't stand up to all the restorative rubbing-out and usually gets sanded back and re-painted.

Check the web for a Puffer Owner's Group - - - like,
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amf_puffer

Status
Not open for further replies.