Replacement of jib and main wire halyards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 29, 2007
- - Balletto
My boat is in the Med .I am trying to replace the wire halyards for the jib and main sail,hope to take them to the Rasmus from UK.Does anyone have the wire gague and length of these halyards?

A

Al

Depends

on alot of things, length of mast,size of boat and size of sails etc. we need input, edward

Nov 23, 2004
Columbia 8.7 Super wide body Deltaville(Richmond)VA
All of that info is here. But that doesn't tell us what diameter wire to use, or whether these are all wire, or rope to wire, or what size the sheaves are. Hallberg Rassy 35 Rasmus designed by Enderlein 38.33I 38.33ISP 12.25J 12.25SPL 32.50P 13.25E 4.33Draft 10.33 Beam 14500Disp 28.00LWL 12.1UP S/D 25.1DW S/D 295D/L 1967 Year

B

Ben Gendre, Guinevere I, Rasmus #152

Rasmus wire halyards

Hope I'm not too late to help, just got back from a short holiday. The info I can give you is from our boat, Guinevere I. She is hull #152, ketch rigged with a selden mast and lewmar reel (wire) halyard winches. I believe all the masts used in that era, both ketch and sloop rigged were the same length, the ketches however have a boom approx 24 inches shorter. The old all wire halyards were head- 79 feet, main- 76 feet. We replaced them with head- 82 feet, main- 80 feet, the originals were 3/16 inch dia as were the replacements. As info for other Rasmus owners, the mizzan mast is a wire to rope spliced halyard, wire 25 feet long, 5/32 dia spliced to 30 feet 3/8 dia double braid. Kind Regards, Ben.

Jan 29, 2007
- - Balletto
Wire sail halyards for a Hallberg Rassy Rasmus

Hi Ben Many thanks for your help. I have contacted a Rigger in Preveza ,Greece. He is going to copy the wire halyards + 2ft extra length.They can then be re swaged,when worn ,also they may be turned.Finally the longest one can be used ,as a spare, for the shorter one. I hoped to buy them in UK, but cost very high and then there is the headache of getting them out to the boat. The ware on the halyards occurs where they go over the pulley at the top of the mast.IE it all occurs in the first 2ft 6in. In the "old Days" when boat was in UK the Yard used to tighten them - of slight extra speed but put enormous stress on them.In 2 seasons they were done. I now like to cruise and dont have the sail rigging drum tight. As soon as wind is F4 to 5 it is necessary to reef.At the end of the day ,in stronger winds, the boat sails comfortably at 6 to 7kts whatever you do.It can go faster ,with more sail up, but becomes very uncomfortable for the crew.

Jan 29, 2007
- - Balletto
Replacement of wire Halyards on a Hallberg Rassy -

Hi Ben I have replied, but forgot to sign off. Regards Edward

Status
Not open for further replies.