Replacement holding tank for 83 oday 28

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 24, 2011
Oday 28 Windmill Harbor Hilton Head, SC
Has anybody had to replace their holding tank in an oday 28 model? 1983 year.

Seems to be an odd size tank and does not even look like it will come out as one piece.

I am ready to undertake this project because with the summer heat it is really making the boat smell nasty and i have done everyying i can do as far as additives go.

I think this tank is permeated with gross-ness.

Mar 7, 2010
Oday 28 ft Jamestown
Holding tank

Has anybody had to replace their holding tank in an oday 28 model? 1983 year.

Seems to be an odd size tank and does not even look like it will come out as one piece.

I am ready to undertake this project because with the summer heat it is really making the boat smell nasty and i have done everyying i can do as far as additives go.

I think this tank is permeated with gross-ness.
Make SURE THE vent is not blocked.

Jun 28, 2009
1984 O'Day 28 Bath, NC
I replaced all the hoses and it took care of my stinky problem. If you haven't replaced the hoses, I would go that route first. Ensure you change the vent hose. The vent hose was very soft and stunk badly.

atroon

Aug 7, 2012
Oday 28 Grand Haven
Re: Holding tank

If you want a quick test if it's the vent vs. the tank, just crack the deck fitting about 3/4 turn, enough so that air can pass through it. If that solves your problem, it's definitely the venting. I found out I have this issue about 3 weeks ago.

May 24, 2011
Oday 28 Windmill Harbor Hilton Head, SC
Yes so when we do a pump out i pump out all the black and then fill it back up with fresh water until it runs out the vent...then pump out all the fresh water,....i would think that would indicate the vent is clear yes?

Nov 3, 2010
Oday 39 Lake mills WI
Place a wet rag tightly around the hose. Leave it there for 24 hrs. remove and take a wiff of the rag. If it smells, change the hoses, including the vent hose as Tom pointed out.

The tank is not likely to be your problem.

ENeedz

Apr 1, 2009
Oday 28 Salem, MA
I am going through the same issue now. My vent fitting is completely clogged. without knowing it we over-pressured the tank to the point we thought it was full. When I opened the deck fitting - WHOA!!! I'll be replacing the vent this weekend.

As to the tank, mine is a 6 gallon, not nearly enough. I plan to add a second tank (what ever size I can fit through the opening in the v-berth) and pipe the two tanks together.

Status
Not open for further replies.